Updating gear for filmmaking (D700 -> D800/GH3/something else)

Hello!

I have been photographing for years now with my Nikon D700 but nowadays I'm more interested about filmmaking and as D700 is not capable of producing video - I need to update my gear.

Few options that I have been thinking:

1. Buy D800 as I already have some lenses that could be used with it (24-70/2.8, 50/1.8, 105/2.8).
+ I could use my existing lenses
- D800 is quite expensive (> 2k €)
- I've read some negative stuff about D800 (moire, aliasing etc.)
- Audio should be recorded separately (or buy XLR adapter?)

2. Buy GH3 when it comes out + some lenses for it
+ I've read good things about GH2 so I'll assume that GH3 will rock
- Audio should be recorded separately (or buy XLR adapter?)

3. Buy a "real video camera" (Canon XA10/XF100/something else?)
+ Getting "all in one" package
- No interchangeable lenses
- Video quality might not be as "movie like"?

4. Something else?

So what would you suggest if I would like to shoot indie films and maybe some sport events? My budget is around 2000-4000 euros and what I would like to get:
- Manual controls for essential settings
- High quality audio recording
- "Film like" video quality (bokeh etc.)

I would also like to buy a separate (shotgun?) microphone, so if you have any suggestions - just shoot.

Thanks for your replies and sorry for my bulky english. :)

Last edited:
I have a very silimilar situation and question so I hope someone answers your question. I'm seriously looking at the Panasonic GH2 for video as well - but trying to avoid recording separately (to keep the post production stuff to a bare minimum) - I need to keep it simple for a newb like me. I was wondering if others have experience with the GH2 for video? Maybe using a shotgun mic directly into the camera would be a big step up from the internal mic? Do you really need to go to something like a Zoom just for a talking head type video clip thing. I plan on doing talking head type clips for the internet. Opinions please?

In the USA, the GH2 is only $800 and the Canon XA10 is $2000. Totally different league of pricing, not sure the Canon will outperform for the video either.

If you already have Nikon lenses go for a Nikon I guess. There's the D600 that looks promising. It's full frame but cheaper than the D800. I imagine it would have similar image quality to D800.

Back