• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Unreason - A Martial Art Short Film

The sound for the first scene is unacceptable because I could hear wind noises. Unfortunately this immediately screams amateur. If you don't have a wind-protected microphone, don't film in an area where wind can let loose.

The actual filmmaking is pretty good, some well thought out shots and good colouring too. There are some strange shots too - for example you filmed some random leaves during dialogue at 3.34 and I'm unsure why.

I have been a martial arts filmmaker for over three years now and I am always interested to see new independent martial arts films. The first fight scene in the woods is pretty good - good choreography and camerawork. I think your performers are talented but they are too static for my liking. I would have liked to have seen more power in the attacks - using your entire body, not just arms. The exchanges were good in that they were fast but they also got a little repetitive at times. Also - beware of the 180 degree rule as I saw you break that in this fight scene.

The second fight scene has a better flow to it. I thought it was very well done apart from the actual hits. The hits didn't sell to well - partly because of the lack of reaction of the recipient but also because of the camera angle - you would have been better placing the camera at an angle behind the recipient.

Overall, this is pretty good and you obviously have some real talent in the martial arts filmmaking world!

Back