Union vs Nonunion casting

what exactly should I expect, while casting for union vs nonunion

I mean there are several issues I am interested in:

1) What are the differences in costs?
2) Should I expect union actors to be more professional, I don't say more experienced

Since I am not from US, I have never delt with SAG, and need to understand, how the system workds

I'll say this, you can expect a greater percentage of actors showing up everyday of your production and on time. If actors flake on you, the union rep will be there to see it and the actors playing hookey can and will get thrown out of SAG. The union can only protect them, IF they show a willingness to work.

Your 2nd AD is expected to take attendance with the cast every day of the production as well.

The benefits of using union actors is quality. Its not terribly easy to get into SAG. Usually those in the union have payed their dues and have the background to back up their acting. If you have great actors with great chops that aren't in the union you don't need to have union actors.

I watch Fox News UNIONS ARE EVIL...they are destroying America ! I hope the Republicans destroy all unions !! nuff said.

OK...

Im a no budget fool myself and using ANY paid talent is out of my league. If I had the $$ and was in Hollywood.. I would be fine w/ talented union folk.

I watch Fox News UNIONS ARE EVIL...they are destroying America ! I hope the Republicans destroy all unions !!

Someone sent me this. Made my day! :lol:

A union public employee, a tea party activist, and a CEO are sitting at a table with a plate of a dozen cookies in the middle of it. The CEO takes 11 of the cookies, turns to the tea party activist and says, “Watch out for that union guy. He wants a piece of your cookie.”

A union public employee, a tea party activist, and a CEO are sitting at a table with a plate of a dozen cookies in the middle of it. The CEO takes 11 of the cookies, turns to the tea party activist and says, “Watch out for that union guy. He wants a piece of your cookie.”

funny as hell, I have a buddy who is the biggest redneck republican, union postal worker...the GOP is looking to eradicate the postal workers.. LOL !!!!!

Reposting this. Thanks :)

The only qualification to get into SAG is being hired to work on a SAG movie. Lloyd Kaufman is a SAG member... nuff said.

Perhaps you misread what I said:

Its not terribly easy to get into SAG. Usually those in the union have payed their dues

SAG ULB's won't get an actor taft-hartleyed into SAG. Meaning Budget wise...you have to be on a fairly hefty sized budgeted film.

Lloyd Kaufman isn't known as an actor...He's know for being the co-creator of Troma Entertainment. He just so happens to put himself in his own films...Put up the funding for a feature...and you can taft-hartley yourself. I don't consider that an easy task...seeing all the paperwork and requests you have to make to get all that to happen.

PS: Strangely, I've acted in a film that he made an appearance. Clearly, it was an oscar winning film ;)

Last edited:
You can put in in bold or even use red letters, but you
are misinformed, bez. It's easy to get into SAG. And paying
dues or having the background to back up their acting is
not a requirement for membership. Even quality is not a
requirement to getting accepted into the guild.

Union status does not reflect professionalism or skill. It's all about character. And the majority of 'union' actors only have BG experience, so in all actuality, the non-union actor may have more acting experience and/or skill. Good non-union actors with drive work a lot more with dialog than SAG actors...keep that in mind.

Depending on your contract (new media or ultra low, etc) you will be either deferring payment or absolutely paying the SAG actors. Non-union actors may work for free, and a lot of the times deferred.

My next project has me going SAG. Landed the lead in a SAG webseries, and since I'm eligible, I'm getting my card finally.

Last edited:
Back