Unable to install Magic Lantern

First of all; apologizes if this wasn't the right section. I thought I'd ask on this forum since I like it here and I've an user here.

I can't install Magic Lantern on my 550D. I followed this tutorial: http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install

I did everything it said, but it doesn't allow me to unzip the files onto my camera. In fact, I can't unzip anything into any of my 550D folders.

I've obviously tried to Google my problem, but without luck.

PS: A little question. I've shot 80 % of a shortfilm without magic lantern. Is it ok to record the last 20 % with magic lantern, or will there be too much of a quality difference?

Thanks in advance. :cool:

I did everything it said, but it doesn't allow me to unzip the files onto my camera. In fact, I can't unzip anything into any of my 550D folders.

Assuming you've formatted the card and got the right Canon firmware installed?

You can extract the files to a folder on your computer, plug my SD into the cardreader, then copy over the ML folder, the 550.fir, and the autoexec.bin. Then plug it into the camera and the run a firmware update from the normal menu.

PS: A little question. I've shot 80 % of a shortfilm without magic lantern. Is it ok to record the last 20 % with magic lantern, or will there be too much of a quality difference?

Depends if you change any of the bitrate settings etc. By default ML is the same as the Canon standard settings I believe.
The main advatages of using ML (as well as being able to adjust the bitrate of course), are the compositional and exposure tools such as overlays, focus peaking, magic zoom, zebras, advanced histograms etc. The look of your footage is dictated by the quality settings, and picture styles (which can be run on a non ML setup anyway).

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
I'd be very surprised if you followed everything the instructions said... Based on the forums 99.999% of failed installs are due to the OP missing a step.

Note A.D.'s points above.

Many find this useful too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp-5wSmUsHc

And this is invaluable for ML info:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php

I did follow every possible step. As I said, I can't put anything in my folders. It's like they are read-only, but they aren't.

I did follow every possible step. As I said, I can't put anything in my folders. It's like they are read-only, but they aren't.

Just to confirm, did you try my recommendation of extracting to the desktop first?

You then copy those files I mentioned above to the root of the SD card, not to any subfolder. I hope that makes thigns clearer. I realise my post didn't precisely specify this, sorry.

Last edited:

This sounds like you're trying to use the CAMERA for the SD card reader, which IIRC will not work. You need to format the card in the camera, then put it in an SD reader, then transfer the files. I think all you can copy to the camera via the built-in USB is images.

CraigL

+1 what Craig Said, computers often see the camera in a different way to card readers, they behave somewhat differently depending on how you access them. If you are on a PC try right clicking and 'exlore' rather than just clicking on the icon if you do not have access to an SD reader

Back