• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Trying to get started scoring films

I've been producing instrumentals for years... playing the piano since i was an infant.. I'm ready to take my creativity to a new height and dabble in film scoring. I've always had story-telling type instrumentals to begin with.

I've also recently invested in a full service recording studio... available for recording drummers... acoustic instruments.. singers.. even a small 3-person orchestra.

So I'm ready.

Does anyone here have advice for beginner?

I am also looking for filmmakers with a low budget, I'll be willing to work for free for a little bit to get my reel together.

Thanks to anyone w/ advice or whoever wants to collaborate.

Reverbnation.com/DRoach -----An example of a track i produced off a promo mixtape

You'll need a demo - with visuals, of course - showing a very wide range of styles and genres. You can re-tool scenes from films and trailers, and there's lots of public domain footage on the Prelinger Archives.

Then you have to troll all of the usual places like film forums, Mandy, Craigs List, etc. for opportunities to score projects for free.

I second Alcove's suggestions...rescoring scenes is a good exercise. Stick around here; opportunities to build your reel do pop up now and again. Oh, and nice folks around here too! Another suggestion is find a team for your local 48 Hour Film Project. It's a crazy-intense challenge as a composer, but trust me, you'll learn a LOT. And it'll give you a chance to meet a bunch of local film guys in your area. Make friends, print yourself up some cards, tell directors exactly what you said here. With any luck you can get some scoring opportunities. Flyers up in local film schools/art schools with film/video programs will also give you some experience.

Diversity in your skills is absolutely a must. I guarantee you will get at least one request in the style of an artist and/or genre you've never heard of.

Best of luck!

I worked with a prominent music producer many years ago, and he would have bands new to his stable choose one song to cover. "Okay, do it as Led Zep. Then do it like Rush. Then do it like The Ramones. Then do it like The Cars." The idea was to stretch your creativity. So do the same idea with a single scene - even if it never ends up on your reel. Do the styles of John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Alfred Newman, Randy Newman, Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore, Alan Silvestri, Franz Waxman... The constant practice and learning "imitation" skills are invaluable.

You also need to learn to work FAST - at least as far as your technical skills and your knowledge of your sound library are concerned. Not only does it impress the client, if you can treat your tools as an extension of yourself you don't lose the creative rush by becoming mired in technical details.

Back