Trying to get noticed..

Well me and my friends love making films.. ive been doing it for a while and took classes on it and all that (in highschool just strting college now) and i would love to just get noticed by like even youtube and get followers with subscriptions and all that.. but no idea how to..

i dont kow how to find film festivals and all that around where i live and i would love some advice from the top dogs on how to get name for myself, followers maybe even win some stuff, and enter in festivals just for the fun of it.. until afer college then its time to really try to get noticed..

whats some advice on what i should do to get my name out there on eve youtube? do i just have do advertise by paying money for them to spread my stuff around? i dont get it ha

I have some videos of me reviewing technology. I uploaded them months ago and let them go. I just kept replying to comments that asked me questions. Just the other day I got an invitation in my email from YouTube to monetize my future videos. Now I am going to use that as a springboard to start uploading some shorts to YouTube. My advice is to give your stuff some quality tags, make the title something that people might actually look up (one word titles followed by "short film" or "no budget film") people look those up for ideas on how far their projects can go with similar restraints. If your project has an interesting story (funded by a special group) then put that in the tags and title. Someone will find it and like it eventually. Most of all, don't forget why you are doing it. You like to make films. Sure money and popularity are awesome but if you do it for the views, people will know

Pretty sure Youtube's got a condition that if you get over a couple 100k views they will pay you. Had a cousin who was trying to do that. If you wanna break in, you gotta do it the old fashioned way, a crowbar and some elbow grease.

Example if you posted a Harry Potter video right before 8 came out, you'd have mad views already. That's what Comi is saying, use your tags wisely and try to stick to things people will actually look up.

Pretty sure Youtube's got a condition that if you get over a couple 100k views they will pay you. Had a cousin who was trying to do that. If you wanna break in, you gotta do it the old fashioned way, a crowbar and some elbow grease.

Example if you posted a Harry Potter video right before 8 came out, you'd have mad views already. That's what Comi is saying, use your tags wisely and try to stick to things people will actually look up.

great example with the HP video. Yeah that seems to be the best way. It may seem like a cop out and stupid to make videos just because it's a popular topic but maybe current events can become your muse. Use it as an exercise for yourself, try to make a video based on current events. You are going to want to post on a schedule so I would say try to make a new short every 2-3 weeks with teasers in between to give your viewers something to hold them over. It's like running a blog or a website, you post and post like you already have the fan base that you wish you had

very true thank you so much.. i never thought tags really mattered, like should i flood the tag bar with aything i can think of? i have a view videos up on youtube including a short film, and i dont get any views.. tey prob arent titles most people would think to look up, but idk..

what about doing that thing that you pay like 10 cents a day or something like that? any thought?

great example with the HP video. Yeah that seems to be the best way. It may seem like a cop out and stupid to make videos just because it's a popular topic but maybe current events can become your muse. Use it as an exercise for yourself, try to make a video based on current events. You are going to want to post on a schedule so I would say try to make a new short every 2-3 weeks with teasers in between to give your viewers something to hold them over. It's like running a blog or a website, you post and post like you already have the fan base that you wish you had

yeah thats why i wouldnt post those kinds of videos,, but i dont really like doing those kinds of stuff ya know but i mean if it gets to followers that i can actually get my other stuff out there.. that would be awesome

because i see these videos that get soooo much attention that just suck in my opinion ya know.. frustrating ha

very true thank you so much.. i never thought tags really mattered, like should i flood the tag bar with aything i can think of? i have a view videos up on youtube including a short film, and i dont get any views.. tey prob arent titles most people would think to look up, but idk..

what about doing that thing that you pay like 10 cents a day or something like that? any thought?

Thats where tags become a grey (gray?) area.... you want to have a lot of tags, but you want them to be relevant. The tags for a hp video could be something like "Harry, Potter, And, The, Deathly, Hallows, Part, 1, 2, *name of camera*, *name of mic*, *name of editing software*, *name of actors and actresses in HP*" Stuff like that. You wouldn't want tags on a Harry Potter video to be "Chicken, roast, beef, pizza, etc" unless you had those in your video and they played a main part. And the deal is basically that a percentage of the ad revenue that they get paid to put ads on popular videos (apparently mine are popular) is given to me. The more popular, the more ads youtube puts because then more people see them and click them so they get paid more and therefore they pay me more :D Now I just need motivation to post some new videos. I have a big project I am working on but thats months away from even filming. I have a newer video from a few weeks ago with only 4 views but I have videos with near 10,000 so it just depends on what the people are interested in watching. I only have like 25+ subscribers

true that man thank you very much.. relevance to whats going on in the world def plays a role in what i send out there and i should start that up..

it always semmed to me that my videos just wouldnt show up when searched ecause im not big in youtube and they put the more viewed up hgiher yah know, i would searched the exact name of my video and its no wheres to be found haha

Terrorist attack in Norway, Rupert Murdoch, Kim Kardashian, economy, these are all things people would search a video on youtube for....goddammit Justin Bieber as silly as that is would get a lot of views. You just wanna get your name out there and then like Comi is doing substitute what you were making for shorts.

Yeah, your best bet is using this forum (there is a section for it) to post your video links and we can go and comment, like, critique, whatever, but bottom line is that it raises the attention rating on your video and YouTube will move it further up in the search results

yeah thats why i came to this website so i can get critiqued from people that are actually involed in short fils and hopefully get some stuff out there, i have some ideos in the screening room.. and yeah im gunna start thinking of videos to make concerning recent news.. hopefully some stuff with spark in my head haha

i even have a video about eminems top 10 verses that has 14k views on it but my others dont break 1000 haha, and its not even like a leit film its jsut some dumb thing i did when i was bored

Make the movies you want to see and like to make. Stick with what you believe in. The majority of people probably won't give a crap, but you might eventually find an audience that likes your style. Just keep making, doing, experimenting, learning, pushing the envelope. But get the basics down and, I know it's boring, watch some older films to see how the medium of film evolved since its inception. Ever seen an old Buster Keaton film? Chaplin? Earlier Hitchcock? Wouldn't hurt to do some homework and take in a lot of historic films, see what folks were doing way before YouTube or Nintendo. Maybe you already have?

Well, have fun and keep busy!

Make the movies you want to see and like to make. Stick with what you believe in. The majority of people probably won't give a crap, but you might eventually find an audience that likes your style. Just keep making, doing, experimenting, learning, pushing the envelope. But get the basics down and, I know it's boring, watch some older films to see how the medium of film evolved since its inception. Ever seen an old Buster Keaton film? Chaplin? Earlier Hitchcock? Wouldn't hurt to do some homework and take in a lot of historic films, see what folks were doing way before YouTube or Nintendo. Maybe you already have?

Well, have fun and keep busy!

thank you so much for that incite! maybe i have seen their films but probably not ill check them out..:) i always have ideas in my head but i have sooo much trouble getting them out and making them as spectacular as i imagined, partyl because so many camera tricks and the experience isnt there yet. but thanjk you ill do what i believe in no doubt :)

i even have a video about eminems top 10 verses that has 14k views on it

Just a heads up: be careful not to violate any copyright laws. If you're interested in eventually becoming a YouTube partner (getting paid for videos, extra perks, just Google it) you'll have to be cautious in that area. Uploading popular content is an easy way to get views but it won't really help in the long run in terms of exposure of your own work.

oh i know all of that ha i made it cuz i was bored. im not relly trying to get to a youtube partner state i just want a following and to start up a webstie that ppl go to to see my videos and stuff

Yeah you can get a partnership on YouTube, basically they pay you to keep making videos so that people will come to their site.

I imagine it's a nice gig, not easy to get though lol :P

Basically if you want to get noticed on YouTube you just have to keep making videos, and hopefully you will make something alot of people like. If people like a video enough they start sharing it on facebook/twitter etc and soon enough it's got a ton of views.

Last edited:
Yeah you can get a partnership on YouTube, basically they pay you to keep making videos so that people will come to their site.

I imagine it's a nice gig, not easy to get though lol :P

Basically if you want to get noticed on YouTube you just have to keep making videos, and hopefully you will make something alot of people like. If people like a video enough they start sharing it on facebook/twitter etc and soon enough it's got a ton of views.

true that haha.. idk i dont really want to fall into the scene catagory and make some ridiculous movie.. i like adding art to them and my own style ya know.. unlike those annoying movies people keep reciting like don mezzeti and shit

The "SECRET" to getting views and getting subscribers to videos on youtube is quite simple.

CONSISTENCY & GOOD CONTENT!!!

Be consistent!

If you upload one and it takes 3 months before you put up another the videos will get lost in the clutter and quite frankly nobody will give a sh!t.

On the other hand, if you upload a new video every Monday then people will subscribe to your page because they know that every Monday you will have something new therefore they will subscribe to see what's next.

Treat your content like a tv series. The reason why millions of people tune into television is because it's good and interesting content and there's the consistency factor so the audience wants to know what happens next week.

But like I said, the work has to be superb and interesting.

There's an audience for everything in my opinion. The audience might be larger or smaller depending on the subject matter but in the end, there's an audience for everything.

EXAMPLE:

Everybody loves watching movies! If somebody does a weekly video every Tuesday and reviews 2 or 3 newly released movies I guarantee they will keep coming back each week.

Why?

Because maybe they want to see what the movie you are reviewing is about before spending 25 bucks. Maybe they have similar tastes in movies and see eye to eye with your opinions on the movies you review.

There are a bunch of factors!

Hope this was helpful information.

Back