• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Trying to get a dark look.

I use Premiere and am trying to alter the color settings to get a dark demented look to visualize the manic attitude of the scene. However I have been uanble to alter the video to get the desired feel. Has anyone here ever tried that type of thing? If yes, what did you use?

can you more fully describe the look you are going for? Possibly cite examples from other films? I'm sure we can tell you how to get specifically what you're looking for.

Sounds like what you are trying to achieve should have been done with lighting and cinematography.

I like using the levels, it's under Effects. So you can drag an effect from the Effects Pallet under Video Effects and, I think, Adjustments. It has slider adjustments that will deepen the darks and mute the lights. You could also adjust the Saturation, should have a slider for that under the same Adjustments options, and pull some of the colors out. You'd wind up with strong darks and muted colors, could be an interesting effect.

Back