Truth or Myth: Cops will confiscate film?

I was watching Punk'd and they did a bit where the agent confiscated film because that rapper guy's video was "no permitted". So what happens in REAL LIFE when a cop asks you for a permit when you're shooting on a street and you DON'T have a permit? Do they actually take your tape(s) with all your footage???

I've seen it done before in real life, right infront of me, except we where out of state filming for a skate video and a cop tried to confiscate the cam. We darted.

I was filming fisheye right next to this handrail at this closed down loading dock thing in Tennesee, another kid was filming long lens and when I saw the cop pull up I put my camera up, but he didnt see him.

I think that me a little diffrent though, but yes cops 'can', or atleast they'll 'try' to take away your expensive peices of equipment.

There are gradations of paranoia in officialdom. The cop busting your chops for filming friends skateboarding in the park has less at stake than the man patrolling the perimeter at CIA Langley, and the latter guy will have a lot more backup. Don't do anything foolish or confrontational, and you'll walk away with just a talking to. Better yet, get a permit.

Kick him as hard as you can in the balls. Trust me, you're a film maker, he'll never expect it. While he's down do the following in this order. Take his gun. Yell to your crew to pack it up. While they pack to leave, take his cuffs and cuff him, make it tight. Take his walkie talkie and smash it. Take his pepper spray. Tell the cop to remember this is the day you could have ended his life. Shoot him in the face with the pepper spray. Take the clip out of the gun, make sure he's not one of those idiots who walks around with one in the pipe. Throw the gun in one direction, throw the clip in the other. Go smash his car radio. Smash his shot gun too. Leave the scene quickly.

I was just saying that cops do think they have the right to confiscate such things, as far as if they really do or not have that right, I do not know.

I know one is more than likely going to try to take a camera away from someone filming someone skating where they shouldnt (closed down loading dock, tresspassing). But as far as a situation that was described in the orginal post, I have no idea.

Maybe I shouldnt of replied because I dont truly know, and my example doesnt apply to you, because as said above, we're talking about two completely diffrent things.

Back