• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

True Detective style opening.

Hi folks,

I'm shooting a music video next week, it's studio based and with one performer, my plan is to shoot his performance then overlay abstract stock footage detailing the themes of the song onto his face. I've never shot nor edited for this style before and I am a little apprehensive as I don't have much time before the shoot to play around with the technique.

Firstly I'm wondering whether I should shoot it on a black muslin(the final edit will have a black background as a creative choice) or to shoot on green screen then make the background black in post, I think that might give me more options to play with in the edit if I can show stock footage on the background too?

I've never lit for green screen so will have to look into that if I go down that route.

Any tips for the shoot are greatly appreciated, I've shot dozens of music videos but my style is usually narrative based with natural lighting so this is out of my comfort zone.

Cheers folks, I'll be shooting on BMPCC with sigma 18-35 1.8 with metabones booster, love this setup!

I would think to do a true detective / key and peele style opening you would need green screen.

But I've never used green screen. I'm an amateur when it comes to sfx.

Key and Peele? Had a google but can't see whats relevant, I'm desperate for more examples of this style so could be good.

I can't find a high quality free version, but if you watch any episode of season 5 it has it.

This is the only video I could find on youtube, skip to 4 minutes 45 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdym0dpkxHk

I don't think it has the whole frame in this video so you can't appreciate it as much.

Well, it does have something to do with green screens. Depending on the performance you may want it would be a tremendous pain in the ass to roto everything out.

While they do use a considerable amount of stills and reprojected 2.5D elements, from what it sounds like this guy may be doing with a music video, a well lit green screen is probably the way to go. You could go practical silhouette but that does not work for every look they have on the open.

This project was shot on a mix of green screen and a practical silhoutted white cyc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9uXPncYF-c

Then I smoked pot for like 3 weeks straight messing around with overlay modes.

Back