Tripods

Two things.

1) I'm making a new thread even though there are other threads on tripods because I want all the attention on me and I don't want to have to search for stuff when I have no idea what I'm searching for and have to trawl through a thousand results trying to find out the specific information I'm after. That's what Google is for.

2) Is this even the right forum to ask these questions? Should I be asking this in the Newbie forum?

So, it seems that tripods aren't as simple as something to stick a camera on so you don't hurt your arms from holding it up for long periods of time and wobble it about a lot.

I am on a very, very tight budget. I'm not trying to make a film. I am trying to learn how to make a film. Therefore, I do not need the best equipment on the market. I need to find something that will fulfil the basic functions that are required so that I can learn how to use it and can afford to pay for it in the first place.

I will be mounting a 600D on it.

So far, the only thing I've really managed to narrow down is the head. This is apparently not total crap and will do the job I need at a price I can barely afford. But I still need the legs and possibly a slider and plate but I don't even know if that's what I need now or if it's something I can hold off on for later. Remember, my purposes at this stage are to learn some basics through trial and error and reading and practicing. So if I can just add something later that I don't really need right now, I can just do that.

But if it's something that I should be learning from the get-go, then I need to know that too.

You want a tripod that won't wobble while you are moving stuff on it. The solutions are twofold: Lots of work in post or a firm tripod.

What you have to realise is that tripods don't really age. A 20 year old tripod in fairly good condition is as solid and immovable as a brand new tripod right out of the box.

So when I asked myself this question, I discovered a fantastic Manfrotto / Bogen video tripod from the 90s which was dirt cheap. It was old but in perfect working order as long as I didn't mind the scratches. It was both indoor / outdoor (meaning the little feet could be adjusted for mud or a nice surface) and if you look at the Bogen adverts from back in the day, it is the one which had a big bloke standing on it.

There are tons of old, Manfrotto / Bogen tripods kicking around which are much cheaper than the probably slightly wobbly tripod you have posted on here.

Go to the Manfrotto website, look through the back catalogue and there are too many video tripods to list here. Get a half-decent one and you will have a tripod which will last you until you buy a medium formate camera.

Go to the Manfrotto website, look through the back catalogue and there are too many video tripods to list here. Get a half-decent one and you will have a tripod which will last you until you buy a medium formate camera.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

However, my problem is that I don't know what to look for. I can't even tell the difference between a photography tripod and a video tripod. I don't know what a slider is or how it connects and only have a basic idea of what a head is. Do I need plates as well? Which tripods fit the 600D? Is that what a plate is for?

This thread was mainly me asking what I need to get in an effort to understand what it is I need to look for.

Pretty much every tripod should fit the 600D. Some the locating pin may get in the way (as the 600D has no locating pin) but most where this is an issue you are able to unscrew the pin

I am going to follow this thread as it is like I was writing it lol.. I have no idea about anything as well the tripod I have (hama) is not the best... it's good but when I move the head around it is.... shit... lol

Will be good to find a good tripod for myself as well... I saw few guys having a big tripods that cost £100's and that is out of my limit... I would like to find fomething under 100 as well :)

Sigh. Much like the camera confusion I'm now also confused about tripods. I'm now hearing that the Manfretto options are all crap for video because they have tiny fluid heads.

Ignore what you're hearing, you're making it way too complicated at this stage. There are only two important criteria for a minimum viable video tripod - legs don't move, head moves smoothly. Everything else is a waste of time at this point.

Get the micro-fluid head you linked, and a good solid set of basic aluminum legs (Induro makes decent ones for about $100).

The head already has a simple quick release plate. Screw that into the bottom of your camera, screw the head onto the legs, click the camera to the head and start shooting.

Or take gorilla's advice, find somewhere that you can get hands-on with used equipment and buy the cheapest old tripod/head combo that meets the two criteria - legs don't move, head moves smoothly.

From YEARS of experience I can tell you the Manfrotto fluid heads are the best bang-for-buck intro option. For a DSLR a small head is fine, you're not swinging around 30 pounds.

That said, if you're as strapped for cash as you say you are and you're as green as you say you are and you're just trying to learn, here's my advice:

Buy a $10 tripod. Shoot with your phone.

Cinematography is only part of the movie making process; writing, directing, acting, leading others, securing locations, scheduling, lighting, audio, feeding people, makeup, production design and like 50 other jobs are all a major part as well. Start shooting with what you have, save your money, then when you're ready to tackle cinematography you can either buy gear that's quality enough to last you long into your career or rent super high quality gear for that project (like every major production does) or even hire a cinematographer with years and years of experience with his gear that will make a better product anyway.

You can't wear every hat on a set. Unless you're end goal is to be a director of photography or cinematographer, you're better off learning the basics with what you have unless you have some disposable income.

Either way, good luck man! If your heart is set on a tripod, get AT LEAST the small fluid head manfrotto. It'll last you long into your career until you get something super heavy to put on it. Anything cheaper will need replacement pretty soon.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

However, my problem is that I don't know what to look for. I can't even tell the difference between a photography tripod and a video tripod. I don't know what a slider is or how it connects and only have a basic idea of what a head is. Do I need plates as well? Which tripods fit the 600D? Is that what a plate is for?

This thread was mainly me asking what I need to get in an effort to understand what it is I need to look for.

OK. A tripod used for filming is called a 'video tripod.' It will be more stable under movement than a typical photography tripod. Example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Manfr...CS%2BUFI%2BIIUM&otn=1&pmod=321056431569&ps=54

I bought the previous version if this model for around $50 USD used on ebay. Cosmetically it looked as if someone had tried to fight off a horde of marauding Visigoths and the version I have is a little older and not quite as slick. However, it works perfectly.

I 100% agree with Paul Griffiths about Manfrotto gear. For the amateur videographer, it rocks.

Ignore what you're hearing, you're making it way too complicated at this stage.
I'm innocent, officer!

I'm just trying to sort out what IS simple rather than complicated. Simplifying it like you did in your post makes things a lot clearer. Thanks :)

Or take gorilla's advice, find somewhere that you can get hands-on with used equipment and buy the cheapest old tripod/head combo that meets the two criteria - legs don't move, head moves smoothly.
Yeah, I'm trying to find volunteer positions and film-making co-ops but I have some health issues so even if I could find those groups, my options in joining them are limited.

Anyway, as for the simplicity side of things, I think I might start working on a tutorial that points out a lot of the things I'm learning that cover the very basics of getting into indie film-making at the very beginner level. Things like this thread and the sound one where someone plainly stated a basic starting goal are really helpful for the newbie like me.

Funny thing about audio is that unlike cameras the tech doesn't change all that frequently.

Best thing to do is get the audio off the camera.

Mic --> XLR Cable --> PreAmp --> Recorder.

Bargain basement around here seems to be:

Rode NTG 1/2/3 --> XLR Cable (low impedence) --> Juiced Link --> Tascam DR100/Zoom H4n.

Five years ago, two years ago, today, and next year. Pretty much the same set up.
Should be good for ten years, unlike the camera any of us beginners will be using. :)

That summed up everything I needed to know and yet it's taken me awhile to get to that information. Although, I'm still not 100% sure what a "Juiced" link is. I'm assuming it has something to do with steroids.

juiced-lifter.jpg

Yep, the guy on the right is using a Juiced link. The other two are running their mics straight into their recorders.

Juiced Link

For learning field audio or for learning filmmaking? Honestly I don't think you need a preamp at all for learning filmmaking, going straight into a recorder will be fine.

But no, if you're going to get one you'd probably want his one at minimum to get XLR inputs:

Riggy Micro

Last edited:
Back