Treatment or Not???

Some producers like to read treatments, some like to read scripts. Unless you are only sending your material out to a producer who doens't like treatments, then it's good to have one.

Actually, as I use writing a treatment as part of my script development process, I can't imagine having a script without having a treatment already. The advantage of a treatment is that it shows up structural issues in the plot without having to see the clutter of the dialogue. This is an advantage to both the writer and the producer, as flaws in the story are often harder to untangle than problems with the dialogue.

Treatment...

ramirras said:
Is it always necessary to submit a story treatment when shopping a script??? :huh:

It's very possible that while shopping a script, you might actually get asked to send over a treatment instead of the script... However, treatments are not all that common these days... Meaning that a lot of writers don't use them... Don't get me wrong... Many writers do use some kind of an outline, synopsis, etc. to keep them on the path of the story but there's as many different methods as there are writers...

For instance, I use Truby's Blockbuster to outline my stories... I would never print out a report from Blockbuster to show someone as a treatment since they might not understand it...

Lots of writers will actually be ready to fax or email the first ten pages of a script to a producer INSTEAD of a treatment EVEN if asked for a treatment...

Why?

Because if you can't GRAB a reader with the first ten pages of your screenplay, you can bet a treatment sure as hell won't do it... LOL.

In fact, this is what I always do instead of sending a treatment... Give them the first ten pages. Trust me, they will read them if they asked for something... Hopefully, if you've done your job, they will want the rest of the script after reading the first ten pages...

But to answer your question... No, you do not have to have a treatment when shopping a script. And, if you decide not to use one, make sure your first ten pages are no less than OUTSTANDING.

filmy

Back