• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Travelers- FULL Sci-Fi Crime Feature

Here it is, in its full 81-page glory!

This has to be my third proudest accomplishment-behind Madness and Shadowed- as it took a whole lot of work. It is a first draft, but it's essentially the backbone of what I want to accomplish.

It's a bit of a mindf**k so beware:

PART 1:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_8v9raspP5uZkNiT0lucFd3Z0E

PART 2 (Fixed, sorry about that!)

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_8v9raspP5uM2RJN0NwLUo1OUE

Would love any feedback.

Thanks! :)

FULL Version, no parts, beginning to end: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_8v9raspP5ualRNNWlvZEs2bkE

Last edited:
Oh, yeah! Definitely looking forward to that- big Rian Johnson fan.

And I'll post a synopsis, but here's a brief description:

Travelers

A gritty sci-fi drama- told in a scattered narrative- set in a small Kansas city- Tom is an aspiring software designer, with a clingy but beautiful girlfriend, Lisa and his foul-mouthed best friend Leo.

Driven to desperation when he can't seem to sell his newest program, he's feeling down, before being led to a crude, mysterious time machine. It functions on 'Scans'- pressing a button to "scan" a date- making it re-visitable by stepping inside and pressing a 'Travel' button. With Leo, they scheme to use it as a clean getaway for robberies. This works and they amass large amounts of money from robbing stores and banks.

But everything goes wrong when Lisa discovers their crimes, and further plot twists and turns begin a downward spiral- ruining the mens' friendships, lives and sanity.

Last edited:
The machine:

mrz0xw.png

WHAT? The link was down?!!!!!!!

Sorry!

FIXED Link:

PART 2 https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_8v9raspP5uM2RJN0NwLUo1OUE

I took the time to also remove some scenes I didn't want in there, so it's now 80 pages. Way too short, but again, will be fixed in further drafts.

FULL Version, no parts, beginning to end: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_8v9raspP5ualRNNWlvZEs2bkE

Please post any feedback, however harsh, little or much, as I really want to fix this up. Thanks!

I will also take any questions over any confusions over the plot.

Last edited:
There are some formatting flaws if you plan to shop this out.

Your descriptions can be more succinct and less prescriptive. Unless there is PLOT SPECIFIC reason to specify a 1994 red Accord, just say "his economy car". If you're making this, be as specific as you like. If you're not, the art director will use whatever car is on hand. You can suggest but sometimes being too specific doesn't pay off. If you need an antique 70s car driving down the street in 2000, it needs to be important.

Keep your dialogue crisp. In your exchange below, there is LOTS of redundancy. This slows down the pace on the screen.
Code:
                  TOM
Jesus.

LEO
Hey, hey, you know what saying I live by.

TOM
No, I don’t.
          (confused)
Live by?

LEO
Abide by, function on, whatever.

TOM
          (skeptical)
Which one?

LEO
“Ask and it will be given to you.”
This could be reduced to:
Code:
                TOM
Jesus.

LEO
You know what sayin' I live by.

Tom's head cocks, eyes squint as Leo takes a sip of his water.

TOM
Which one?

LEO
"Ask and it wll be given to you."

He smiles at Tom.

You have lots of description but most of it is non-visual.
Code:
[I][COLOR="Blue"]Amidst the sea of tiled floor [/COLOR][/I]is a two-person booth by the
window, and seated at is:

Tom, [I][COLOR="blue"]weeks before his car crash[/COLOR][/I], wearing dull office clothes.
He has ordered a [COLOR="Red"]salmon-and-vegetables plate[/COLOR], [I][COLOR="blue"]something you’d
expect a guy like him would eat[/COLOR].[/I]

Across him is his friend, LEO, 22, a guy [I][COLOR="blue"]we can tell is
trouble with a capital T. Erratic and shoot-first-think-later
philosophy just dripping from his tongue[/COLOR][/I]. Finishing his third
[COLOR="red"]Heineken[/COLOR].

Again this can be more simply written as
Code:
Tom wearing his dull office clothes sits in a two-person booth by
the window with [COLOR="red"]bland dinner plate[/COLOR].  Seated across from him is 
LEO (22) whose mannerism show swagger as he downs his third 
[COLOR="red"]bottled beer[/COLOR].  Leo's lips curl as he sucks in his breath poised to 
say something.

Again, the thing that trips most screenwriters writing spec scripts for sale, is that they think they're writing novels. Producers are buying stories. And when they buy the story, they often will re-write it match THEIR visual imagining. The script is a blueprint. It doesn't require all the interior design. While it's not necessary to eliminate all references like to Heinekin or salmon-and-veggies, just be clear when it's important and when its not. To show a brand, you need permission.

Page 4 has a very long back and forth between Tom and Leo. It will be boring as hell on screen. Again, there is lots of excess verbiage that can be cut. You want the dialogue to sound natural but you also want to be concise. A working guideline is to break dialogue after 4 or 5 lines with action. There are exceptions but it is a workable and gives a more efficient flow. Your story should be discernable from the action descriptions if all the dialogue were cut.

Also, don't direct from inside the spec script. You wrote: "We close in and look down to his phone, which lies on the floor of the ruined car." How the director chooses to realize that shot is his/her concern, not yours. You can hint as writer in a spec script: "Tom looks down at the phone on the floor of his car as the seconds tick down." Again, what a writer/director can get away with is different than a straight spec script writer. No "FADE IN", "CUT TO BLACK", "EXTREME CU", etc. Transitions and camera directions are frowned upon.

Unless you are making this yourself, these issues would be enough to cause some readers to stop reading. I'm not saying that the story and premise are bad. But there are lots of scripts to be read. Yours need to look clean and professional. While I'm reading between the lines to give you feedback, an agency reader has no reason to do so.

Code:
Moments after he ran back to the stairs after seeing the dead
corpse being dragged, he is now kneeled down in the lit area
amongst the shadows, looking at the machine, which is
standing there.
The above passage (p. 14) is written for the reader. It's not what the viewer sees. What the viewer sees is: "Tom kneels in a lit area and looks at the machine in the shadows."

Overall, the story seems interesting but I started losing interest around page 28. The problem is the script has lots of format flaws that, in my opinion, would cause it to be passed. The dialogue is too wordy. The action statements are absent. These are your opportunities to provide "shot cues" and acting subtext. The descriptions are too oriented towards a "reader" and not the "viewer". I think it also needs more character development. If you take time to clean it up, I think it has potential. It still needs polishing.

Good luck

Well because I need someone to look over it and point out the more obvious flaws.

Thanks FSF, I'll definitely be taking all that into consideration. I write too much like a director and not a writer, something I've been trying to fix :P

Hey, what I meant is that I never have the guts to let the first draft be read by ANYONE because it is such a mess! I usually run through once or twice before then getting feedback. But to be honest it seems you are a neater writer than I. Btw I haven't read the script because I don't have a google account thingy...yeah it just takes me to a google page. I wouldn't mind having a read though if you get to me another way.

I think getting opinion on first drafts is a really good way of making sure the second draft irons out the kinks. Obviously its good to get your own eyes over the script again but the sooner people can point our glaring problems, the better. I'd love to give this a read but I don't have time at the moment- perhaps after my exams next week I'll be able to sit down with it.

Just thought I'd expand on what FSF has already said. Being economical with descriptions and dialogue should not make you utilitarian. I think, for example, that of the two dialogue extracts that FSF cites, I prefer your version (sorry FSF!). Creating a clear stylistic verbal identity is essential to any screenplay and is something that a lot of movies seem to be forgetting these days.

The key with descriptions is to be very clear about what you mean and not add either superfluous detail or idiosyncrasy. I am, however, a big fan of describing characters in terms that expand slightly on the visual element of the script. For instance I might want to write 'JOHN, 40, a bank manager who's dressed for work and rushing to catch his bus' but I find it easier to express it as 'JOHN, 40, a harassed looking bank manager who systematically fails to catch his bus each morning'. Even if you're writing a spec script, don't be afraid to describe things in the terms that you think best express what you're trying to see.

Possibly just two different schools of thought on the matter. FSF's advice is absolutely golden though if you're looking for getting the cleanest, most sellable script that you can.

Back