• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch TRAPPED: My Second Short Film

Hey peeps! Will really appreciate if you guys check out my my second short film. I feel like I've grown from my first film which I also posted on here. Of course there are certain things I will still change but overall I think I got my message across.

A young woman traps herself in her apartment and experiences constant trauma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1J1oWQRSPk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1J1oWQRSPk

It's clear almost from the very beginning what problem the protagonist is facing, which builds tension, which is resolved at the end. Pacing is good. So the story is well told, and I like that you were able to do it with very few words. It would have worked without the one line of the rapist, although this would also have changed the interpretation somewhat.

A couple of things I felt was off or could have been improved:

1. Having the film in colour and the flashback in greyscale would have made it more clear that it was a flashback, although I thought it was already pretty clear.

2. At 1:21, I would say the rapist's face should flash quicker, so that the viewer doesn't start believing that the rapist came back for real.

3. In the flashback scene, you cut from the rapist pushing the woman to the bed fully clothed, immediately to the leg of the bed moving with sounds that indicate sex. It's clear that you want to communicate that the woman is being raped, but the sound has (at least to me) humoristic undertone. In fact I'm sorry to admit that I involuntarily smiled slightly at that moment, which is obviously not the feeling you want to induce. Perhaps you could have illustrated it in a different way, for example a waist up shot of the woman trying to push the rapist off of her while he keeps thrusting. It's a difficult thing to do tastefully.

I hope this helps!

It's clear almost from the very beginning what problem the protagonist is facing, which builds tension, which is resolved at the end. Pacing is good. So the story is well told, and I like that you were able to do it with very few words. It would have worked without the one line of the rapist, although this would also have changed the interpretation somewhat.

A couple of things I felt was off or could have been improved:

1. Having the film in colour and the flashback in greyscale would have made it more clear that it was a flashback, although I thought it was already pretty clear.

2. At 1:21, I would say the rapist's face should flash quicker, so that the viewer doesn't start believing that the rapist came back for real.

3. In the flashback scene, you cut from the rapist pushing the woman to the bed fully clothed, immediately to the leg of the bed moving with sounds that indicate sex. It's clear that you want to communicate that the woman is being raped, but the sound has (at least to me) humoristic undertone. In fact I'm sorry to admit that I involuntarily smiled slightly at that moment, which is obviously not the feeling you want to induce. Perhaps you could have illustrated it in a different way, for example a waist up shot of the woman trying to push the rapist off of her while he keeps thrusting. It's a difficult thing to do tastefully.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

1. Just for the style of the film I preferred the whole thing to be in black and white, I glad you were able to tell the difference.

For the rape scene, I actually did want to show parts of the rape but my actors were amateurs and they met each other for the first time the day of filming. We're just college student and I knew they couldn't pull it off, especially the actress. It wouldnt be right for to just tell her the day of, "hey I want to show you getting raped." This was the first short film she's ever been in, so I didn't fell right doing that. The bed rocking was all I could think of without actually needing to show them.

I'm glad you understood my message, thank you for replying.

Back