Transition

I don't know what it's called. But, I've always liked this effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2SV2bSMjbE

This is pretty much what I'm looking for. I'm sure if I added a glow/light effect it'd be much brighter in the end.

It's how I achieve this that I'm wondering about.

With this I added the "Brightness/Contrast" effect to the clip and every few frames I increase the effect and then razor blade it. So, I end up with 50 cuts.

Is there a way in FCP to increase the effect without having to cut and cut and cut?

Also, is there an easier way of getting the effect that's in the clip? I usually go the long way round.

If you just want the brightness increase, you could drop in a "Fade Through Colour" transition and change the colour to white.

To animate both the brightness and contrast, the easiest way would be to keyframe the effect. You tell Final Cut what the value for brightness (or contrast, opacity, size etc.) should be at the start and end of the transition and it calculates all the values in between. Ken Stone's website has a decent explanation of keyframing in Final Cut.

I can't remember names like key framing. Is that basically the same thing as adding motion to a clip? Like what I did with the text.

If it is, then I'm doing something wrong. I'll check my Final Cut for Dummies for key framing. But, I added the DIP TO COLOR transition and it worked great.

When you add a filter in FCP 7 and previous version, if you look to the right of the main filter settings, there's a little time line. You can add keyframes to each of those values and adjust them over time allowing you to build wonderfully complex effects and transitions that don't ship withe the package. Experimentation and your imagination are the only limitations you have.

Back