• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Trance music score

Is it bad to have a predomanantly trance influenced score. Similar to tron legacy but with absoloutly no orchestral sounds or parts. Something more like Armin van Burren's album's but with no vocals. Except on maybe 3 or four tracks.

Its for a movie I havent even written yet. Its supposed to be like if you combined inception with a movie about taking extacy.

the only film with a similar soundtrack what i want is Stark raving mad.

If that's what the emotion of the film calls for - then, that's what it calls for. It's never a good idea to force a style or 'sound' into a score just because you think it would be cool. Let the film itself dictate what it sounds like and what its needs are...

But to answer your question more directly, I can certainly imagine a predominantly 'trance-esque' score for an Inception\Trip-Your-Nuts-Off hybrid.

The score is written to fit the film, the film is not written to film the score.

Once the film production is completed and the preliminary edit is done the film is given to the composer. It is your job as the director to let the composer know what you want, either verbally or with temp score or both, but allow him/her complete license at the beginning; as with all of the other crafts they may have ideas and/or perspectives that you have not though of that will greatly enhance the final product.

And don't be "married" to your temp score; there is nothing more frustrating to a creative person than to be instructed to be a mimic.

It's a great idea to have a predominately trance influenced score if that's the right vibe for the film.

I'm with you Scoopicman. Run Lola Run is a fantastic marriage of music and film.

Back