Trailer or short film for crowdfunding

I'm considering filming a brief short or trailer with my current batch of actors for a possible crowdfunding project not related to my current film, money and time are both issues..

Do investors appreciate a longer "short film" over a trailer or does it matter just as long as it's quality..or does it really matter? I say people are more likely to watch a 2 min trailer than a 15 min. film - what do you think?

Thank you.

Most important is that the video excites and ensures the watcher that you can pull it off.
Whether it is a short or a trailer or a pitch with some shots for the mood and some portfolio stuff: people want to see what you can do.

The unfortunate answer is: We're filmmakers, not investors. All I can give you is best wisdom based on what I've been taught and what I've experienced (mostly investors in other industries)

Investors want what is best for them. Some are solely based in the focus on returns where others have a wide range of reasons to get involved. It's more important to know what those motivations are and THEN determine your best course of action.

As for crowd funding. It depends on how much you're trying to raise and what you're shooting. This is also my best guess. It's a combination of charm, marketing reach and social proof.

or does it matter just as long as it's quality..or does it really matter? I say people are more likely to watch a 2 min trailer than a 15 min. film - what do you think?

One thing I can tell you. Your ability to convert your potential donators comes down to your understanding of that audience and your ability to move them. Pick the vehicle that best satisfies those people and will serve your goals best.

I realize this all sounds cryptic.

Doesn't make much of a difference. as walter said, the important thing for crowd funding is to make people believe that you could do that and it's not like you're gonna waste all the money they're about to fund.

I assume the best thing would be a rough version of what you want to do. Maybe just a scene could do the trick.

Back