Toshiba is backing down in high def DVD format war

The news of the day is that, although there has been no official word from them, Toshiba is about to abandon HD-DVD and concede to Blu-Ray. The scales had been tipping in favor of Blu-Ray for some time, with studios, retailers, and even rental houses declaring support for Blu-Ray. Toshiba's stock went up 5% based on the rumor, so I doubt there is any reason for Toshiba not to make it official.

Finally, we can end the format wars and move forward!

Doug

Glad I bought a BluRay player last year and not HD or the dual format player. Either type is nice too because they upconvert existing DVD movies to near high def quality. It will also make is easier to commit to a blu ray burner for my pc in the near future, which will work nice with Sony Vegas Pro that can burn an edited movie to blu ray.

The news of the day is that, although there has been no official word from them, Toshiba is about to abandon HD-DVD and concede to Blu-Ray. The scales had been tipping in favor of Blu-Ray for some time, with studios, retailers, and even rental houses declaring support for Blu-Ray. Toshiba's stock went up 5% based on the rumor, so I doubt there is any reason for Toshiba not to make it official. Finally, we can end the format wars and move forward!
Doug

I was cheering for HD-DVD, but I'm still glad that a clear winner is emerging. It does make it a lot easier to do resource allocation. I've been holding off on any high-def DVD purchases. Now I will start looking at what's out there.

Doug

Back