• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Top Ten Horror Movies

Starting today, I'm presenting a special top ten list of my favorite horror movies, all leading up to Halloween next week! Read my number ten horror movie review of The Last House on the Left and keep your eyes peeled for the remainder of the week to see the rest of my top ten. I'd also love to hear from everyone else on what their all time favorite fright flicks are!

Nice review, I'll keep checking back to see the rest of your 10! This really is the best time of year! All time favorites, huh...well it might be easier listing the horror films I *don't* like! We'll try though. In no particular order, and likely to change at any time (I love way too many movies to come up with consistent "favorite" lists). So then, top 10 for Monday the 24th:

Hellraiser (with the exception of 3, 4 and 6, though I'll sit through 3 if I'm in the mood)
Legend of Hell House
Susperia (and Inferno...really, we could just say "the collected works of Dario Argento" and be covered)
In The Mouth of Madness
Prince of Darkness (most Carpenter I could take or leave, but those two are favorite films of mine)
Romero's Living Dead movies (emphasis on the first and Diary)
Exorcist series (3 is actually my favorite, but the original is a classic and Dominion is pretty good)
Poltergeist (too bad the loss of Julian Beck kept the third from being the scariest movie ever!)
Nosferatu (both versions, and I loved Shadow of the Vampire too!)
The Others (really NAILS the classic ghost story/haunted house film)

As you can tell, I definitely lean towards supernatural horror, but I like everything. From sci-fi horror (Alien, of course) to horror comedy (Shaun of the Dead, Dead Alive, Evil Dead, etc), so bad it's funny horror (Troll 2, Leprechaun in Space, any Wishmaster movie after the first, where they were at least SORTA trying). I appreciate the occasional action horror (Resident Evil, House on Haunted Hill remake, etc) or classic horror (ANYTHING with Vincent Price or Christopher Lee). I also have a soft spot for killer scarecrow movies...couldn't tell you why!

My number 9 choice is... Halloween!

Boo! Halloween is #2 on my list!

A top 10 is really hard. I know my top 3...

#3 The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
#2 Halloween
#1 Night of the Living Dead

Not only do I believe that these are the best horror films ever made, but I also feel that thay are the most important movies to the genre. These three movies, in my opinion, are the films that changed the genre the most and made it what it is today.

Not sure if "Last House..." would make it into my top 10...

Right on (and you and I are in the minority of people who liked Land of the Dead, it seems. The movie is even funnier if you live in Pittsburgh, or know a bit about the culture here). I saw Romero speak at the premiere of Bruiser. During the Q&A someone was asking a question about Dawn and started to say something about the "subtle metaphor of consumerisim" and he just laughed and said, increduously, "Subtle!?!?" If nothing else, he has a sense of himself. Great guy, and I do tend to love all of his films.

I actually really don't like Halloween, but I recognize it as a great slasher film. I just don't care much for slashers. I did like the third one though...poorly done, but a neat concept. And I now have the "silver shamrock" jingle stuck in my head.

Right on (and you and I are in the minority of people who liked Land of the Dead, it seems. The movie is even funnier if you live in Pittsburgh, or know a bit about the culture here). I saw Romero speak at the premiere of Bruiser. During the Q&A someone was asking a question about Dawn and started to say something about the "subtle metaphor of consumerisim" and he just laughed and said, increduously, "Subtle!?!?" If nothing else, he has a sense of himself. Great guy, and I do tend to love all of his films.

I actually really don't like Halloween, but I recognize it as a great slasher film. I just don't care much for slashers. I did like the third one though...poorly done, but a neat concept. And I now have the "silver shamrock" jingle stuck in my head.

and its playing next on AMC in about 45 min LOL, but ya Halloween III is not given credit as it should.

Halloween III was good up to the ending. It was creepy and I thought it was suspenseful right up to the end. I didn't think the end lived up to the rest of the film. (shrug)

-- spinner :cool:

I guess my top 10 would be something like

Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Halloween
Nightmare on Elm Street
Friday the 13th
Alien
Dog Soliders
Night of the living dead
Psycho
Paranormal Activity 1

Not in that order, Evil dead series being my favorite.

Another good pick; one of my favorites by Miike! Based on a Ryu Murakami novel, whose "Coin Locker Babies" is one of my favorite books (no relation to Harukai Murakami, another favorite author of mine, leaning more towards sci-fi, but in an absurdist, David Lynch sort of way). Seriously intense movie.

I think I must've missed something in Audition. I didn't find it intense at all. Nor did I find it scary. Nor did I find the torture scene as disturbing as others make it sound. Honestly, I found it quite dull.

I guess I'm going to have to go and re-watch it, to see if I really did miss something.

I like Rob Zombies films. I'm really looking forward to "Lords of Salem", which started shooting last week.

I'm a huge Stephen King fan, so for me, none of the movies based on his books ever do them justice. Even though IT, The Shining, 'Salems Lot, etc. are all good movies, I always feel let down by them, as they just don't compare to their source material.

I love 1000 corpses, but it wouldn't be in the top for me. I'm also looking forward to Lords of Salem. It should ROCK!

Alien is a great pick. Never get sick of that movie!

I'm sorta with you, mad_hatter on King. I do like a lot of his stuff (The Dark Tower is just fantastic), and some of the adaptations really drop the ball. But I'll take Kubrick's Shining over the book any day, and in recent years, The Mist was fantastic. I think I'll rewatch IT tonight; Tim Curry is amazing in that (though I definitely agree with you on that one...doesn't hold a candle to the book).

Back