top-list Top 10... Fall from Grace Movies!

Fall From Grace movies... you know, when the director you love does a film that is truly worthy of someone like Uwe Boll rather than Coppolla. So my top 10 fall from Grace movies (in no order)

1. Jack - Coppolla finally jumps the shark and then (thankfully) never directs again.
2. Planet Of The Apes. Tim Burton. Apes. Pile of shite.
3. Jersey Girl. Kevin Smith got close before. This crossed the line.
4. Domino. Tony Scott develops new style in Man On Fire. Tony Scott makes us sick in Domino.
5. Amistad. Schindlers List On A boat. Total arse.
6. Pearl Harbour. Michael Bay. Rubbish film. Badly cast.
7. Crash. Cronenberg tries to shock. Only bores.
8. Lord Of Illusions - Clive Barker throws away promiss of Night Bread and Hellraiser
9. Bananas. Woody Allen. Very poor movie.
10. Escape From LA. Carpenter jumps the shark on a space rocket.

Anyone else?

I think we look for waaay different things in movies...I liked every movie listed above. I'll have to think about this one for a bit.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........ Pearl Harbour?

JACK!!!! You cant like Jack. Jack by the guy who did The Godfather. JACK??????

I kinda like Escape From LA but more for Kurt Russell and The God Bruce Campbell. But not as a Carpenter film.

And Planet Of The Apes? No way. Please. Say it isnt true!!!!

I like pure emotional roller coasters that force feed you your next emotion...Hollywood tripe is my thing. as for crash, I liked that it pointed out that everyone is racist, not just that there is racism in the world still. Do the right thing did this as well. Pearl Harbour is in my DVD player as we speak. I find it uplifting...diff'rent strokes right? I'll assume you are not the target audience for these types of films...but the target audience for them (myself included) don't mind spending money on them, so they keep churning them out. I even liked Jersey Girl...and Gigli wasn't as bad as all that.

Infact I am that target audience as much as anyone. My fav films are stuff like Top Gun, Commando and to a lesser extent Bad Boys....

I love popcorn crap... but stuff liek Pearl Harbour made me mad. Souless film...

I hate films with no soul or heart. Even Bad Boys has a heart to it, passion.

I enjoyed watching Pearl Harbour as it was a fairly accurate reconstruction of the Pearl Harbour attack which forced America into WW2. My favourite scenes were Ben Affleck coming to UK and volunteering for service in the RAF.

However Mr.Modern Life, Top Gun is not a favourite of mine as i consider a good film needs much more than just Tom Cruise trying to be the wise guy!

Escape from LA kicked arse. While there was a lot of low budget crude chroma effects and not-up-to-par visuals, it was made for the camp factor and its surprise ending that sure as hell wowed me. I admit, there's a lot of films that can make this list, but Escape from LA is (IMHO) definately not one of them. :D

Although your inclusion of Kevin Smith's Jersey Girl is right on the money. Sorry, Kev!

"as for crash, I liked that it pointed out that everyone is racist, not just that there is racism in the world still."

Different "Crash."

Speaking of Lucas, how 'bout Howard the Duck?

And that John Singleton movie about racism on a college campus.

As for Kevin Smith, I'd say "Dogma."

Liked "Clerks," kind of liked "Mallrats" and "Chasing Amy," but "Dogma" was complete shite, in my opinion. If I wanted to watch people sitting around talking about religion, I'd turn on the 700 Club.

Got to agree with most of your choices, except Domino, that's never a fall from grace movie.

Now "Gangs of New York" that's a fall from grace movie -- the man who directed "Bringing out the dead" "Taxi driver" etc etc makes a self indulgent period drama and has the nerve to pull a Hitchcock and appear in it himself ... please!

Domino was OKAY until Scott then remake the ending of True Romance... (which was far better in True Romance).

But clive I really liked Gangs. A really good epic film that was pure Scorese through and through. Only thing I didnt like was Diaz who was hugely miscast.

Yes sorry Crash as in the screwing of wounds after car crashes movie. Ugh!

I was torn on Dogma. It's my least fav Kevin Smith movie by far BUT AT LEAST it's a Kevin Smith movie. Jeresey was just a shite movie by a different person.

Domino from teh man who did Bringing Out the Dead? In what way? Scott directed Domino, Scorcese directed Bringing Out The Dead.

In it's own right Domino was okay (although I'd still say way over cut and poorley scripted) but it's Scott's fall from grace because he ripped of the ending of one of his best films and did it really badly. Come on the ending of True Romance was FAR better than Domino - at least you can see what was happening!

T Shipley said:
As for Kevin Smith, I'd say "Dogma."

Liked "Clerks," kind of liked "Mallrats" and "Chasing Amy," but "Dogma" was complete shite, in my opinion. If I wanted to watch people sitting around talking about religion, I'd turn on the 700 Club.

...awww! I don't care, I'll be in the minority. I LOVE Dogma. One of my favorite films. :)

I'll add a couple more:

Aeon Flux: I have already lamented that film. What a cool idea for a film, what a crappy film...
What is the deal with Oscar winners taking these crappy films? Halle Berry: Catwoman, Charlize Theron: Aeon Flux
Fun is fun but come on...

And the one that I am almost scared to go see, but I'll have to. It has yet to be released

Snakes On A Plane. Good God I hope they are playing this for laughs. Samuel L. Jackson can probably withstand this film, but geez.......Snakes. On A Plane...???

I know I haven't seen it yet. I'll be the first person to say I like it if it is good... :lol:

-- spinner :cool:

Aeon Flux was Zardoz for the modern day...identical plot...very cool...replace sean connery with charlize theron and you've got the movie.

Back