directing To do what must be done can only be done when you know what to do

Criticism is often a harsh thing we filmmakers receive. Sometimes we dream too big, sometimes get bias. But in the end we gotta rise about ourselves before we can hope to rise in the industry. Or rise In life for that matter.
For my whole life I have chased a dream of making a fully fledged fantasy story on a budget many Hollywood films could spend on one costume. Through the years the criticism hasn’t been kind to my test films-or so I thought. Now I realize all the feedback is more important than ever. That goes for all of us.
I have spent around $2000 on my project currently. I have also saved $1000 more and planned on using it for the release and online/real fest submissions. But due to reviews, due to honest opinions and constructive feedback I am now destroying my entire marketing budget. Save $100 (maybe.) So that I can make my story into what I’ve always wanted it to be. I am currently realizing that feedback is the most important part of production. More important than sound, design, more important than every aspect of film. Because all of those aspects are only realized and enhanced through feedback. So I am seeking the help and reviews of hundreds of different filmmakers.
By giving up my marketing budget I have lost tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of viewers by paid promotion. But that doesn’t matter. Cause in the end it isn’t about the amount of cash you use to promote a dead film, it’s about how much story, how much persistence, how much drive you use to promote an alive film. Which gets more viewers? Cash? Or a good story. Cash gets good viewers, but story gets commenters. Big diff.

Many on this site know this, the more feedback and the more truth there is, the better everything will become.

This is the way. (Get the reference).

As I said on one of your previous posts, don't become RELIANT on the feedback. Fact is, you worked, you made, you created.

If it's good, people will show up and tell you. If it isn't, then you won't get positive feedback.
It's very rare that something amazing goes with very little in the way of views if it is placed in front of an audience that appreciates it.

Example: My teaser trailer for INFINITUS. I made it with all my heart. I put a lot of passion and love into making something unique and beautiful. I had 4 other people give their time to help me create that vision. It only lasts around 1 minute, but I loved it.

Put it out into the internet, only one person really seemed to like it. It hasn't improved traffic. Most people say the voices are off or out of place.

But it's out there and made. Finito. Time to move on and work that feedback into another project. There is no use in going backwards and trying to correct issues, especially when they are made from an amateur or beginning filmmaker.

I will start getting that way once I create something everyone loves. Until then, stumble along and just create. Trip, fall, get back up. Rinse, repeat.

As I said on one of your previous posts, don't become RELIANT on the feedback. Fact is, you worked, you made, you created.

If it's good, people will show up and tell you. If it isn't, then you won't get positive feedback.
It's very rare that something amazing goes with very little in the way of views if it is placed in front of an audience that appreciates it.

Example: My teaser trailer for INFINITUS. I made it with all my heart. I put a lot of passion and love into making something unique and beautiful. I had 4 other people give their time to help me create that vision. It only lasts around 1 minute, but I loved it.

Put it out into the internet, only one person really seemed to like it. It hasn't improved traffic. Most people say the voices are off or out of place.

But it's out there and made. Finito. Time to move on and work that feedback into another project. There is no use in going backwards and trying to correct issues, especially when they are made from an amateur or beginning filmmaker.

I will start getting that way once I create something everyone loves. Until then, stumble along and just create. Trip, fall, get back up. Rinse, repeat.

We make the film yes, that can’t be changed, but how we make it can be greatly influenced. Yet again. The road to success is the one that leads back to you. As for trailers, that’s life Lol.

We make the film yes, that can’t be changed, but how we make it can be greatly influenced. Yet again. The road to success is the one that leads back to you. As for trailers, that’s life Lol.

I don't think you are really understanding what I mean. But you will eventually as you go along. The only way to really take advantage of feedback, is to have the skills in place to do better the next time.

Just be careful investing and spending so much on your first film. It usually is never that great.

Back