• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Tips on getting started?

I have many ideas, but I don't know how to get started.

Develop characters first visually? Through dialouge? Etc.

I just need basic tips.

- New filmmaker.

Just DO IT ! Screw up, make mistakes..learn, repeat, repeat, repeat , repeat and one day you will have something good is my experience. This is an art w/ MANY facets. you will first need to develop your style as you learn the 10,000 and 1 things you will need to know to express yourself. GOOD LUCK !!

OHH and dont worry about sound.. any chimp can hang a cheapo shotgun mic on top of the camera right ?? :no::lol::evil::bang:

Last edited:
Getting Started

Everyone here has different techniques which work for them. Some use index cards, others just start writing. My advice is that film tells a story. So rather than worrying immediately about characters and description, write a one page version of your story. Getting the idea onto paper (or computer) is the first step.

"A boy sees a girl across the street, and he falls instantly in love. He goes to cross the street but the lights are against him. He sees her get on the bus and his heart falls. He grabs a pen and writes the bus number and time of day on this palm. He goes back the next day a half hour early to see if she is there again. She doesn't show. He's disappointed. The bus pulls up and leaves. Just then the girl comes running up and is upset because she was running late. ...."

At this point, I'm not sure how I want it to end. I haven't really thought about the boy or girl. But I've started my story going. At this point, I would break it up into the "6 Act Model". Put a header on six index cards or sheets of paper. What I'm going to talk about can be found at Michael Hauge's site: http://www.screenplaymastery.com/structure.htm

Act 1 - Set Up (introduce the characters and situation)
Act 2 - Introduce a New Situation and a Complication
Act 3 - Formulate a Plan of Action to Succeed (character throws self in headlong)
Act 4 - More Complications and Higher Stakes (usually a major setback)
Act 5 - Final Push to Succeed with it looking unlikely (suspenseful moment, climax)
Act 6 - Resolution and the Ever After

I would go through and put the elements of my story above onto the index cards under the headings

A boy sees a girl across the street, and he falls instantly in love.

Act 2 - Introduce a New Situation and a Complication
He goes to cross the street but the lights are against him. He sees her get on the bus and his heart falls.

Act 3 - Formulate a Plan of Action to Succeed (character throws self in headlong)
He grabs a pen and writes the bus number and time of day on this palm. He goes back the next day a half hour early to see if she is there again.

Act 4 - More Complications and Higher Stakes (usually a major setback)
She doesn't show. He's disappointed. The bus pulls up and leaves.

Act 5 - Final Push to Succeed with it looking unlikely (suspenseful moment, climax)
Just then the girl comes running up and is upset because she was running late.

Act 6 - Resolution and the Ever After
??? Maybe, I'll have him small talk with her. They hit it off and go grab a cup of coffee.

Now I can go back and add details and think about dialogue. The structure of the film is in place. I want it to be a bit more robust so,

A boy sees a girl across the street, and he falls instantly in love.
- The boy is dressed in a giant Hotdog suit advertising for the deli behind him.
- The girl sees the giant hotdog and flashes one of those "you're adorable" smiles.

At this point you simply start writing the script. You don't need CeltX or fancy software. Just a plain old Word works fine. There are lots of sites that give you more detailed formating guidelines. Just one is
http://www.storysense.com/format.htm . But there are lots of resources, some even posted by others earlier.

If you create more complex movies, you will need to learn about character roles. There is a post by Rockstar that talks about those. Books by Syd Field are good. Also, I highly recommend getting a copy of Trottier's book on screenwriting.

A good film tells a good story. While I don't agree with everything Robert McKee says, he is right in that it all comes down to story. The best way is to just start putting your ideas down.

PS: I am not advocating following a rigid formula. I am suggesting that starting out it helps to have a template to focus thinking about your story ideas. Over time, you'll find your own voice and style. In the Hauge article, he is generalizing. Please don't take his percentages literally so you break your pages accordingly. By the middle of your story, you should be at the top of the rollercoaster. Have fun! :lol:

Last edited:
If you are asking about creating character sheets for characters in your script, it's the same as creating characters for a novel. Think about the character living alone and going into their bedroom, or where they normally sleep. What do they wake up to in their room? That says a lot about your character. Consider their nationality, their religion, where they grew up or are growing up. Who do they live with and how do people in their household influence them? How does their neighborhhod influence them? Is your character an introvert or extrovert? Has something dramatic happened to influence your character in their young developing childhood such as witnessing a loved one die? Where they abused by someone in their household?

These are things that shape a character's journey.

My favorite metaphor is that making a movie is like building a house. Where do you start? The script or story or idea is your blue print. Start working with that. No one can tell you which line to draw first or what comes first, character, dialogue or plot. It's incredibly subjective. Just start. It all begins with a word. Start typing.

My favorite metaphor is that making a movie is like building a house. Where do you start? The script or story or idea is your blue print. Start working with that. No one can tell you which line to draw first or what comes first, character, dialogue or plot. It's incredibly subjective. Just start. It all begins with a word. Start typing.

And in building your house, the foundation is the first thing that must get laid before you can start moving up. The foundation in writing is concept. Without a solid concept, you risk building a house of cards. Theme can evolve as the story evolves, but it's a good idea to have that in mind, too. Know your story.

A good exercise I like to use before I begin to write is to develop my logline, my one to two sentence "pitch". Then I'll pitch it to a few people to see their reactions. If it falls flat, I look at revising it or going with something completely different until I get a positive reaction. Then I'll begin developing the major characters and the spine (http://www.blakesnyder.com/2008/04/21/the-story-spine/) of the story.

With credit to Karl Iglesias:

(Title) is a (genre) about a (description of hero) who, after (inciting incident), wants to (outer goal) by (plan of action). This becomes increasingly difficult because (obstacles and complications).

Or...

(Title) is a (genre) about a (description of hero) who must (outer goal) or else (dire things will happen).

Examples:

(Rain Man) is a (drama) about a (slick, angry salesman) who, after ( his father dies), wants to (get his inheritance) by (manipulating his brother). This becomes increasingly difficult because (his brother is autistic).

(E.T. The Extra Terrestrial) is a (fantasy) about a (lonely boy who befriends a stranded alien, and) who must (help him get back home) or else (the alien will die).

And in building your house, the foundation is the first thing that must get laid before you can start moving up. The foundation in writing is concept. Without a solid concept, you risk building a house of cards. Theme can evolve as the story evolves, but it's a good idea to have that in mind, too. Know your story.

A good exercise I like to use before I begin to write is to develop my logline, my one to two sentence "pitch". Then I'll pitch it to a few people to see their reactions. If it falls flat, I look at revising it or going with something completely different until I get a positive reaction. Then I'll begin developing the major characters and the spine (http://www.blakesnyder.com/2008/04/21/the-story-spine/) of the story.

With credit to Karl Iglesias:

(Title) is a (genre) about a (description of hero) who, after (inciting incident), wants to (outer goal) by (plan of action). This becomes increasingly difficult because (obstacles and complications).

Or...

(Title) is a (genre) about a (description of hero) who must (outer goal) or else (dire things will happen).

Examples:

(Rain Man) is a (drama) about a (slick, angry salesman) who, after ( his father dies), wants to (get his inheritance) by (manipulating his brother). This becomes increasingly difficult because (his brother is autistic).

(E.T. The Extra Terrestrial) is a (fantasy) about a (lonely boy who befriends a stranded alien, and) who must (help him get back home) or else (the alien will die).

I really like that method, i think i'll use that on my next script, thanks :)

Back