• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

time/action scenes

I know how basically every page is to be 1 minute of screen time, but how do you figure in action scenes with no dialoge? I mean if you have people running thru corridors till they come to a spot to rest. Or a better example would be the big underwater fight scene in Thunderball. Is it up to the director or fight corridoranitor to decide on the lengeth? Because you can have a script that runs say 90 odd minutes, but once you put in all the action wouldn't that stretch it out to a feature?

As far as I have seen it is just a general measurement but when I'm done with a project it usually isn't far off. It will change alittle one way or another but it is usually the correct ratio, even for action.

Action scenes are also on the page - the average script is about a 50/50 split between actions and dialogue.

You need to read a stack of scripts - actions scripts - to see what a script looks like. Walter Hill or Shane Black or some other writer who does action. The car chase in BULLITT is 7.5 pages long - no dialogue. That's an extreme, but it gives you an idea.

If it's not on the page, it's not going to be on the screen.

- Bill

Back