Tilt shift question

Hmm.

Would be interesting to hear someone with more T/S experience talk about how they might go about that, but I am not sure that is the right tool for the task.

You might have to used forced perspective instead, if I understand your goal right.

You mean like making a model car look like a real car parked on the street or something?

Yeah,I doubt tilt shift be of any help as you face a reverse problem that is not enough depth of field. You will need to close down iris,to have both subjects in focus and provide enough light to expose properly

Hmm.

Would be interesting to hear someone with more T/S experience talk about how they might go about that, but I am not sure that is the right tool for the task.

You might have to used forced perspective instead, if I understand your goal right.

You mean like making a model car look like a real car parked on the street or something?

Yeah, forced perspective and low camera angles. Start at smaller apertures than used to, due to the cam-subject-background ratios, and ensure the subject lighting suits the scene too.

Last edited:
I don't think you can. I'm no expert, but I'm almost certain that there is not "opposite" to tilt-shift. The problem wouldn't be your subject, it would be their surroundings.

You can, of course, photograph a detail model and composite it into live action footage. Dependant on your skill level, you can get really realistic results. There's a chapter in "The DV Rebels Guide" about compositing models into live action, perhaps you could check that out.

I'm no expert, but I'm almost certain that there is not "opposite" to tilt-shift. .

^This. A TS lens simply allows the user to change the angle of the focal plane. There is no 'opposite' of this as such. To remove this effect we would just go back to using a standard lens, where the focal plane is perpendicular to the shooting direction.

The other big part of the TS miniature look, is the height of the camera angle. We normally look down on small things, which is why the most effective miniature-looking shots are snapped from an elevated position. Drop the camera to a worms eye view, and we instantly eliminate the crazy focal plane shift across the ground into the distance, and give the subject a more commanding appearance.

Actually, you *can* use TS to increase depth of field in this way. I've done it many times, though only with a stills camera. It's simply a matter of finding the right angle of tilt. It probably won't achieve what you're after by itself - you will want to stop down too. But it may help somewhat if you're struggling to get a small enough stop.

Yup,just found this in one of D.Mullen's posts :

" Sometimes tilt-focus lenses can be used to create a fake deep focus effect if everything falls along a diagonal plane to the camera"

Yup,just found this in one of D.Mullen's posts :

" Sometimes tilt-focus lenses can be used to create a fake deep focus effect if everything falls along a diagonal plane to the camera"

Yeah, you just tilt it so the focal plane runs (almost) flat on the ground. However this will mean that anything that sticks up vertically (like a lamp post, or a person) is at risk of being outside the plane of acceptable focus (which depends on all sorts of compositional factors of course).

In the context of this discussion, the technique is of limited use.

Hopefully the OP will return and clarify what they are trying to do. Regardless, we dont need a TS lens to make a miniature appear larger than what it is. A simple low perspective shot needs no such equipment. All we have to do is put the cam at or below the minature eye level, and then adjust the placement of the camera and subject relative to the background. It's very easy to achieve.

I was just watching the bonus discs from the Star Wars Blu-ray set and they discussed creating scale when it comes to models. Their key ingredient was light. The more lights that were on the ships, the bigger they are perceived. Not the exterior lighting, but the interior lights for windows, etc.

They used 100,000 fiber optic lights for the Star Destroyer in Episode IV. But when they built Vader's Super Star Destroyer (Executor) for Episode 5, they couldn't squeeze any more fiber optics into it. So, they used finely-etched brass to make holes for a larger light inside the ship to shine through.

Of course, fine detail really helps sell the scale too.

If you ever get chance to go to London and see "The Making Of Harry Potter", they jave the miniature Hogwarts there. The detail is incredible. Every window has a light, some evern flicker and move to simulate somebody walking the corridors, while holding a lamp or candle.

Incredible stuff.

Back