• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Thriller-short, with horror twist!

Wow, you blew me away with that one. Super job Jardoss.

Really really liked it.

How did you manage to close the street off? And did you have to jump through lots of hoops (cops on set, fire arms handler etc) to have a 'gun' on set?

Wow, you blew me away with that one. Super job Jardoss.

Really really liked it.

How did you manage to close the street off? And did you have to jump through lots of hoops (cops on set, fire arms handler etc) to have a 'gun' on set?

Thanks, man :)!

We didn't close any street actually. I'm 17, and live in Norway- so shot this on a school night in the middle of the week. No people around.
Having a gun on set was a little problem. We called the police to let them know we were filming, and we had two police men with us on set at all times (which is how we got the car for example). But some guy drove past the set, and saw someone screaming while another one pointed a gun at him- and called the cops.
So in the middle of a shot, two vans come screeching into our set, and 8 armed police men jump out, haha. Luckily, they knew the cops we had on set, so they just had a laugh and went back. So yea, make sure to give absolutely EVERYONE a notice. We told the entire neighborhood a week in advance, but you can never be sure ^_^

Thanks again,
Jarand

I focus a lot of attention on the visuals.

This is common in the lo/no budget film world and from my experience even more common on indietalk. The vast majority here are only really interested in the various aspects of cinematography and a few others in writing stories and/or directing the visual side of film making. This is why in threads asking for critical appraisal, the majority of replies/comments relate only to the cinematography. Of course, cinematography of itself is not film making, it's just photography and only one of the crafts required to make a film.

The vast majority of the time sound is specifically designed (hence the term "Sound Design"!) to manipulate the audience at a sub-conscious level, so if done well audiences are not consciously aware of it. Unfortunately, most inexperienced filmmakers are not consciously aware of it either and therefore either don't consider sound design important or don't consider it at all! As a filmmaker though you have to have a better understanding of how films are made than an average film going member of the public. One of the biggest differences between very successful commercial film directors and amateur directors is the realisation that being mainly sub-conscious does not make sound design less important but the exact opposite, it's the sub-conscious nature of sound design which makes it such a powerful and essential film making tool. ALL the top film directors I'm aware of, given budget restrictions, will compromise pretty much every other area of film making before they will compromise the sound design. This is the exact opposite of what the vast majority of no/lo budget film makers do!

In your defence, you are young and at least starting to show an interest in film making rather than just cinematography. Your film demonstrates a good understanding and knowledge of cinematography and of directing some of the other film making crafts. If you can bring your knowledge of how to employ sound up to the same level as your cinematography knowledge there's no reason why you can't eventually become a successful professional director.

G

Thanks for the reply Jardoss.

Wow, lucky you had the cops with you.

Only 17, wow!!!! -Super job man. And given your age, super super super.

We've all stuff to learn though - with work your filming will just keep getting better and better.

By the way I'm noting AudioPostExpert's advice too - sound is an aspect that often comes a distance second to the visuals, I need to bring the two more in-line.

I just checked out your:

Everywhen trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-Dv-iayj0zU

...holy smokes that looks good!!!!

And you have guys with assault rifles and full tactical gear. How did you manage that?

Looks really really good! The kind of movie I would pay $10 to see.

Advice - dialogue for Everywhen, try to avoid expositional dialogue:

Expositional Dialogue
http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/expositional-dialogue.php

This will help too:

How to Write Great Dialogue
http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/how-to-write-great-dialogue.php

Last edited:
This is common in the lo/no budget film world and from my experience even more common on indietalk. The vast majority here are only really interested in the various aspects of cinematography and a few others in writing stories and/or directing the visual side of film making. This is why in threads asking for critical appraisal, the majority of replies/comments relate only to the cinematography. Of course, cinematography of itself is not film making, it's just photography and only one of the crafts required to make a film.

The vast majority of the time sound is specifically designed (hence the term "Sound Design"!) to manipulate the audience at a sub-conscious level, so if done well audiences are not consciously aware of it. Unfortunately, most inexperienced filmmakers are not consciously aware of it either and therefore either don't consider sound design important or don't consider it at all! As a filmmaker though you have to have a better understanding of how films are made than an average film going member of the public. One of the biggest differences between very successful commercial film directors and amateur directors is the realisation that being mainly sub-conscious does not make sound design less important but the exact opposite, it's the sub-conscious nature of sound design which makes it such a powerful and essential film making tool. ALL the top film directors I'm aware of, given budget restrictions, will compromise pretty much every other area of film making before they will compromise the sound design. This is the exact opposite of what the vast majority of no/lo budget film makers do!

In your defence, you are young and at least starting to show an interest in film making rather than just cinematography. Your film demonstrates a good understanding and knowledge of cinematography and of directing some of the other film making crafts. If you can bring your knowledge of how to employ sound up to the same level as your cinematography knowledge there's no reason why you can't eventually become a successful professional director.

G

Absolutely, I see your point. Been reading up on it since your last comment, so thanks a bunch- you opened my eyes for another technique in storytelling! :) I appreciate the kind words at the end as well, keeps me going :)

One again, appreciate your notes here. They're all been written down.

Thanks for the reply Jardoss.

Wow, lucky you had the cops with you.

Only 17, wow!!!! -Super job man. And given your age, super super super.

We've all stuff to learn though - with work your filming will just keep getting better and better.

By the way I'm noting AudioPostExpert's advice too - sound is an aspect that often comes a distance second to the visuals, I need to bring the two more in-line.

I just checked out your:

Everywhen trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-Dv-iayj0zU

...holy smokes that looks good!!!!

And you have guys with assault rifles and full tactical gear. How did you manage that?

Looks really really good! The kind of movie I would pay $10 to see.

Advice - dialogue for Everywhen, try to avoid expositional dialogue:

Expositional Dialogue
http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/expositional-dialogue.php

This will help too:

How to Write Great Dialogue
http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/how-to-write-great-dialogue.php

Thanks a bunch man, especially your words on EVERYWHEN :)
That film was made a year ago, when I was sixteen- so I've gotten pretty far since that- but I do appreciate your links. Will definitely have a look. A little extra knowledge never hurts!

EVERYWHEN ships to the States, Scandinavia and Benelux this fall on Blu-Ray on DVD, in most stores (I think), so grab a copy! :)

Appreciate your comments guys, thanks a lot.
Jarand

My biggest critique is in the dialog when he apologizes about what he said about him and his job. I noticed he said the same thing twice. But the look was great and the shots looked nice.

My biggest critique is in the dialog when he apologizes about what he said about him and his job. I noticed he said the same thing twice. But the look was great and the shots looked nice.

I agree with you on this one, something ill keep in mind next time. Thanks for pointing it out, though- helps a lot :) thanks for the kind words as well!

Jarand

Back