Thoughts On This As A Project Hard Drive

Working with video, you need a lot of bandwidth. Network storage for production houses is really complex and expensive, talking tens of thousands for 30+TB, but the bandwidth works and you can access your video.

For a single computer system, you can get 4 2TB drives that plug in via Firewire, eSata, USB 3 or Thunderbolt and be golden, or if you want a little more speed or some redundancy, you can get a firewire or eSata mini raid enclosure and drives and run 4-8tb for about $600ish, and it will work great on a single computer.

8TB wouldn't last long for a mini-series, especially scifi like you're thinking with effects renders and what not. It'll get you started, but will only last a few episodes. Our 10 minute short after all effects and grading renders on top of raw MP4 footage was over a TB in data. If it was 30 minutes, it would be closer to 2.

The fact that it's a NAS certainly makes working with multiple devices a crap load easier. Especially if you're collaborating with others in the same network.

I don't know if I'd throw $800 at it .
You could easily pick up a 4-bay NAS and throw in a bunch of 3TB HDDs for about the same price.

Working with video, you need a lot of bandwidth. Network storage for production houses is really complex and expensive, talking tens of thousands for 30+TB, but the bandwidth works and you can access your video.

For a single computer system, you can get 4 2TB drives that plug in via Firewire, eSata, USB 3 or Thunderbolt and be golden, or if you want a little more speed or some redundancy, you can get a firewire or eSata mini raid enclosure and drives and run 4-8tb for about $600ish, and it will work great on a single computer.

8TB wouldn't last long for a mini-series, especially scifi like you're thinking with effects renders and what not. It'll get you started, but will only last a few episodes. Our 10 minute short after all effects and grading renders on top of raw MP4 footage was over a TB in data. If it was 30 minutes, it would be closer to 2.

I use Premiere Pro + After Effects with Dynamic Link, which saves me MASSIVE HDspace since I don't have to render it out. Plus, it updates immediately so I have realtime updates.

Back