This Mac Book pro with Final Cut?

13.3"
2.5 GHz
4 gb
500gb 5400 ram
Intel hd graphics 4000
OS X Mountain Lion
8x slot load dvd superdrive (whatever that is)

How does this sound. This would be a laptop solely used for editing.

Thx.

Right now what I have been editing is anything up to an hour.

I think I will check out the 8gb ram...bigger screen I will check out too. I don't want to make a mistake and regret it later.

Thanks.

Oh and my goal is go further with editing...something beyond just fooling around with in my spare time...

13.3"
2.5 GHz
4 gb
500gb 5400 ram
Intel hd graphics 4000
OS X Mountain Lion
8x slot load dvd superdrive (whatever that is)

How does this sound. This would be a laptop solely used for editing.

Thx.

I have a very similar spec lappie here (the HDD is a slightly different size), and it's really not a pleasant experience when vid editing. My desktop is about 7 years old now, and it still poops all over the laptop, despite being obsolete in PC terms.

What cpu is it? 2.5ghz maywell be fast enough, depending on the series/generation.

4gb of RAM will get you by, but it's not a pleasent ride. The bus speed is often overlooked. Chances are it's slowwwwwww.... You can easily just slap some more in though. Well, knowing Apple that might not be as easy as it should be, and may even void warranties etc (or worse, it might be soldered to the motherboard and upgrades are not even an option).

500gb 5400rpm HDD is big enough for a fair chunk of data, but the speed is typically slow (and likely got a pants cache too).

HD4000 gfx is a gfx unit that is built in to the modern Intel CPU's. While it will just about crawl you through some games, for rendering vids it's really rather poor. A dedicated gfx card (with software that will utilise it) will rip through rendering/processing in far less time.

OS and dvd drive doesn't really matter, so don't worry about that.

Thanks. I need to keep doing research. I was checking out Best Buy. This is what they have:
MacBook Pro with Retna display
15.4"
Retna display
256 gb of flash storage
2.5 ghz (which is less than the one I listed above)
Intel iris pro graphics
8gb's of memory

I notice on a lot of these you have to purchase a separate Apple usb superdrive to burn dvd's/cd's...is this a pita?

Here is thing here too....there is a certified Apple dealer nearby here that offers classes...however number one, they have a horrible reputation as knowing little (despite the fact they are certified and many people prefer to drive nearly two hours for an actual Apple store) AND though they state they offer classes, they never seem to have one...I have signed up for classes and none is ever available...strange.

I notice on a lot of these you have to purchase a separate Apple usb superdrive to burn dvd's/cd's...is this a pita?

Here is thing here too....there is a certified Apple dealer nearby here that offers classes...however number one, they have a horrible reputation as knowing little (despite the fact they are certified and many people prefer to drive nearly two hours for an actual Apple store) AND though they state they offer classes, they never seem to have one...I have signed up for classes and none is ever available...strange.

I rarely need a disc drive these days which is why they've taken it away, that being said it is handy to have a portable external one for when you do need to use a DVD/CD for something.

Offer classes for what? And why would you do classes there if they have a horrible reputation?

I rarely need a disc drive these days which is why they've taken it away, that being said it is handy to have a portable external one for when you do need to use a DVD/CD for something.

Offer classes for what? And why would you do classes there if they have a horrible reputation?

Well I had inquired about classes and their schedules before I knew about their reputation. That being said, there is nothing else around.

Back