Thinking about buying a camera. Can you help?

I want to get into documentary film making and I've been trying to find the right camera. I have been thinking about getting either a used sony HVR-Z1E or a used JVC GY-HD100u. I'm looking to spend between 1,000 and 2,000 dollars. Any advice would help.

Stay away from the T2i and other DSLRs if you're looking to primarily do documentary work. The 12 minute max clip length can be extremely limiting when you're sitting down to record interviews and overheating issues are a lot harder to deal with when you're recording things as they happen. It's not like a narrative film where you can just do another take. If your trying to document live events these are issues that can ruin your project.

I don't have any experience with either of the cameras you listed, but I did just wrap production on a documentary that we shot with the JVC GY HM100. While it had its limitations, it was a great camera for the job. They go for $3000 new, I'm sure you could find a used one for cheaper.

Last edited:
I love my T2i. And I have a background in documentaries. It's not a good camera for documentaries.

Where's wombat? I don't remember the camera he's working with. But, I remember when I checked it out, I was like, "Damn, that's a pretty sweet camera". If I was shooting a documentary, on a small budget, I'd want his camera. Search his name; he posts plenty in this forum.

Back