• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Think I feel a script idea coming on...

Here's another idea, on the house:

I think this could go in either the superhero or Roberto Benigni way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1WACuPmOro

By day he forgives your sins. By night he stops them. He's... the Skateboarding Saint!

That looks like a very effective means for gaining an alter-boy's trust. And once you've got his trust...

I worry what other things this priest might be showing off.

That's right, I said it!

(It's okay, technically, I'm Catholic) ;)

I wrote a poem after such a similar news item in India

The old woman and the corpse

There was a corpse in the hamlet,
An old woman was sitting by.
Driving away the flies,
That swarmed the corpse.
The corpse was stinking,
It was stenching,
Filling the air with,
Stench so unbearable.
“Burn it or bury it”
Passers cried loudly
Gesticulating and cursing,
For her folly
The old lady sat still.
For her it was not a corpse,’
It was her only son.
And she was clutching it,
With her sinewy hands,
Clinging to it
Like a straw in the turbulent storm.
This is not a yarn,
But a real life story.
Appearing in the paper
Filling my heart with sorrow
My heart goes to the poor lady
Who grieves for her only son.

padma

I live in Japan and can tell you that the real story here is that they suspect that there may be hundreds of cases of people who have failed to report the death of aged family members in order to continue collecting pension money.

The first incident was discovered when the government went to congratulate one man on turning 100 years old (a big deal and not an uncommon one in Japan.) The family kept making excuses for not allowing the government people in the house to express their congratulations in person. After many visits, they finally smelled something rotten (metaphorically, not literally) and came with the police. They discovered the body in a bed, where it had laid for almost 30 years.

I also thought of the potential here when I read the story. Living in Japan offers me some insight into the culture that makes what the family did somehow less horrific, or at least somewhat understandable. Moving the story to another country, would change the feeling dramatically.

Last edited:
Here's the article I mentioned...

Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2010

Kin of dead man face pension fraud rap

Kyodo News

A pension association has filed a criminal complaint against relatives of a Tokyo man found dead at his home last month on suspicion of fraudulently receiving payments he would have been entitled to as a widower, investigative sources said Tuesday.

The complaint, filed by the Japan Mutual Aid Association of Public School Teachers, has prompted Tokyo police to investigate if the family of Sogen Kato, who would have been 111 if still alive, illegally received the pension money payable to his late wife, a former teacher, by making it appear that Kato was still alive, the sources said.

Kato's mummified remains were found in July at his home in Adachi Ward. His family claimed he retreated to his room around 30 years ago and refused to have meals and water. He appeared to have died around the end of 1978, according to police sources.

His wife died in September 2004 at the age of 101. Since then, ¥9.45 million in pension payments have been deposited into his bank account, of which some ¥6 million has been withdrawn.

The discovery of his corpse drew attention to the fact a number of elderly people in Japan are unaccounted for. As of Aug. 4, local governments in 11 prefectures had no notion of the whereabouts of 33 people who would be 100 years old.

On Friday, the health ministry said a Nagano Prefecture man who hasn't been seen for 30 years would be 110 if still alive. The ministry plans to soon stop sending his pension.

Back