• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Things in post that need to be taken into consideration

What are the important tips filmmakers should do during the production - for better preparation of post-production?

Editor? Should I hire an editor asap, get him on set?
Post sound?
Composer?
Press release, promotion?

Any inputs?

Thanks

The biggest thing in my opinion is to really prepare yourself for all the variables that could pop up and throw you and your crew for a loop. Pre-production will save you once production starts. Stay organized throughout the entire production and it will save you time in the long run.

Editor - It depends on your preference as well as the editor's preference. Sometimes he/she likes to be on set during production and sometimes not. That is something and the editor need to decide together.

Post sound - Have a dedicated sound guy & boom op to record the best possible sound on set. More than likely you''ll have to ADR some stuff in post production but it's crucial to get the best sound as possible from the get-go.

Composer - Get a composer on board at the beginning so when you have a rough cut to send, he/she can start putting together a cue list and some rough tracks. Definitely collaborate as much as possible so you both are on the same page.

Promotion - You don't want to release a trailer too far in advance. I always was told around 1 month before the movie is to be finished. It's nice to create some buzz before the movie is released but if you do it too far in advance it can fizz out. This is ultimately up to you! I think networking and word of mouth is always a plus.

Thank you for the tip! Any tips for choosing an editor?

When you say"a movie to be finished" you mean "production" or "post-production"?

The biggest thing in my opinion is to really prepare yourself for all the variables that could pop up and throw you and your crew for a loop. Pre-production will save you once production starts. Stay organized throughout the entire production and it will save you time in the long run.

Editor - It depends on your preference as well as the editor's preference. Sometimes he/she likes to be on set during production and sometimes not. That is something and the editor need to decide together.

Post sound - Have a dedicated sound guy & boom op to record the best possible sound on set. More than likely you''ll have to ADR some stuff in post production but it's crucial to get the best sound as possible from the get-go.

Composer - Get a composer on board at the beginning so when you have a rough cut to send, he/she can start putting together a cue list and some rough tracks. Definitely collaborate as much as possible so you both are on the same page.

Promotion - You don't want to release a trailer too far in advance. I always was told around 1 month before the movie is to be finished. It's nice to create some buzz before the movie is released but if you do it too far in advance it can fizz out. This is ultimately up to you! I think networking and word of mouth is always a plus.

You should also have your supervising sound editor involved during preproduction.

As was said capturing great production sound will save you time/money in audio post and give you a better product. The ADR performances never live up to the on-set performances, so the less looping you have to do the better.

When you say"a movie to be finished" you mean "production" or "post-production"?

I mean completely finished / post-production is done.

I've only edited my own films; however I don't think it's how I will always do it. I'd much rather have somebody else edit the movie. I'm hiring an editor (based off of their previous work) for my next project.

I take it you aren't paying top dollar.

Choose someone you want to be in very close proximity
to for long periods. Choose someone who is truly dedicated
to the long hours over a long period of time. Choose an editor
who is calm. Choose someone you trust as a person.

Back