theatrical release for a movie shot on compact camera?

I notice someone saying in the forum that some movies are released (in theatres) that were shot on camera with a small sensor size 1/2.3" .

Is this true?

Is it really possible techincally to show a video shot from compact camera to large screen in theaters?

I know of Nokia n8 , which was used to make a feature film Olive in 2011 i think. But i doubt if compact cameras has the ability to shoot HD video that's usable on large screen.

Does anyone know about this?

I used a Canon ZR800 for a feature once. Standard def. We premiered it at the local theater and it looked pretty good. Also, the "christian" film, Flywheel, was shot on a Canon XL-1 (also standard def) and they had quite the theatrical run.

28 Days Later was shot on the XL-1 (1/3" chips, standard definition) and got a wide theatrical release. Inland Empire was also shot on DV. Can't think of many others off the top of my head. Certainly more common with documentaries.

It just doesn't generally happen much, because if you've got the resources to produce a film that is otherwise suitable for theatrical release it just doesn't make sense to skimp out on the camera (both examples above used them for creative reasons). And if you're shooting on a camera like that because it's all you've got it probably means you don't have the other necessary elements in place to make a film that's likely to get theatrical release.

Back