Theater production good practice for filmmaking?

any experience is good experience; but one of the most important things filmmakers can learn from theatre is working with the actors, even if you're an aspiring film-director staging a play will help you a lot;
being a technician might be a good start, since you get to see how people work there (without being in the line of fire when something goes wrong) or you get to know some of the actors (who might help you with your own projects).

There is a lot of common ground with film and theatre. Pay attention to blocking an lighting especially. If you aren't at rehearsals you may not see a whole lot of the 'working with actors' part, but you should be able to gleam something from tech week if you aren't too busy.

Just be ready to unlearn some stuff when you switch back to film. I'm mainly talking about terminology. Both theatre and film have their own individual jargon for the same things. So don't focus too much on learning the theatre terms for stuff.

Have fun! Working in theatre is a blast!

Working on the technical side would definitely be a benefit. One which is particularly useful is lighting use to create a certain tone throughout scenes - a recurrent theme in both mediums.

It also lets you communicate with actors and crew in a demanding environment - it can really help you with those skills.

I say go for it, and have fun! Good luck!

I know someone who was successful as a writer, director/producer for the stage. He teamed up with someone who knew the technical end of video/film and his first movie got a distribution deal.

Back