Theater - A Xmas Carol

Ok you theater gurus, I know you're out there.

I am tapped to direct A Christmas Carol for the Community Theater Group. This is my third play for the Army community and the second time for Dicken's. Last year I played Scrooge and directed and this year I will just direct, with my Hitchcock-esque cameo.

So what I want to know from you, oh lovers of theater...

I plan on messing with the story slightly. My first change is casting a female as Scrooge. Not original, but a breath of fresh air, for me. What versions of A Christmas Carol have you seen, theater type, and what stood out about them or made them different from the norm Dicken's classic?

As you can see I am looking for a few new ideas to interject into this year's production.

Thanks.

Best version of Scrooge

1) Film - has to be Muppet Christmas Carol

2) Theatre - My good friends the Masquitoes do a two handed version of the play, using Comedia-del-Arte techniques. Mask work, basically.

They rewrote and changed the characters, so that Jacob Marley became Gay Bob Marley and the ghost of Christmas Present, became the ghost of Christmas Pheasant (imagine Big Bird played by a fat man in tights).

david did Tiny Tim by filling a baby grow with baloons (full of chocolate milk) and putting his head through a black backcloth. Tiny Tim explodes at the end of the show, spraying the audience with chocolate milk.

All in all classy stuff.

Good luck with the production

Last year we performed for the elementary school kids and to change it up from the grown up version of the play, we played the "There Goes Scrooge" song (can't remember the title) from Muppet Christmas Carol and I walked into the audience Bah Humbugin for the entire song. Of all four performances that was the most realistic response and genuine warmth. Kids catch on to things they don't realize sometimes.

Thanks for the input Clive.

I always look forward to going to see the latest presentation of this at the Guthrie Theater here in Minnesota. Unfortunately it's been a while since I've made it, but it AM going this year.

Anyway, the last time I saw it it was done 'in the round' well, not quite in the round, but close, more like 3/4-round.. anyway, the part I liked best, and it's kind of sad that this is the main thing that jumps out at me, When scrooge was walking down the street, and up to his door, the stage was empty.. or mostly empty anyway, then suddenly, the door just kind of shot up out of the floor. Very cool.

Anyway, I guess that doesn't help or answer your question at all.. but if anyone is ever in the Twin Cities around Christmas, try to catch the Christmas Carol at the Guthrie, they always do a hell of a job

Back