The things you hate to see in Short films?

-Painfully over- or under-exposed footage to the point where it's almost all white or all black.
-Out of focus shots, or too shallow DOF
-Music and sound effects used that sounds 135x better than the actual production sound
-Sound off the camera
-Flabby scripts/cutting - not cutting into the action. We don't need to see him pull up in the car, get out, lock the door, walk up the steps, open the door, walk down the hallway, round a corner and sit down at a table unless it is relevant to the story

- lack of pacing in the story
- boring, long shots
- really bad audio
- not saying something worth hearing
- over acting emotions
- bad vfx
- characters smoking and thinking deep while doing so

-Sound off the camera.
I believe you mean either:
-Sound of the camera.
or
-Sound on the camera. As in an onboard camera mic audio, which is often wretched when the source is farther than about four feet out.

Either of which is pretty disapointing.
Which reminds me - Sound of a bare walls apartment. :)

I believe you mean either:
-Sound of the camera.
or
-Sound on the camera. As in an onboard camera mic audio, which is often wretched when the source is farther than about four feet out.

Either of which is pretty disapointing.
Which reminds me - Sound of a bare walls apartment. :)

Yes, as in sound taken directly off the camera mic, though both are awful. I guess sound of the lens as well (autofocus or aperture clicks)

rayw said:
+1
I'm so sick of zombies, especially low-budget zombies.

Gotcha, JRox.

One more: multiple non-level shots of a non-Dutch angle nature.

Picture-193.png

Unless your logo animation looks totally awesome it can't go longer than 10 seconds.

If it's awesome, it'll just backfire because the chances are next to zip the actual film will match the same level of awesomeness. One would be setting the audience up for disappointment. Better that it be sans logo and have the audience be pleasantly surprised.

Am I the only one who hates 2 minute videos without any sense just bunch of kids runing and shooting with videocopilot stock footage. But the description is :

Bourne Bourneson is trying to find his wife and get into CIA . Is he gonna succeed ? Or maybe the agents are going to stop him ?

Am I the only one who hates 2 minute videos without any sense just bunch of kids runing and shooting with videocopilot stock footage. But the description is :

Bourne Bourneson is trying to find his wife and get into CIA . Is he gonna succeed ? Or maybe the agents are going to stop him ?

if they do it humorously like that Freddiew guy... the joke with his videos seems to be: who the hell would believe this fat asian kid is a badass?

but then they tried that crap for a full movie/web-series and it didn't work... not sure why

if they do it humorously like that Freddiew guy... the joke with his videos seems to be: who the hell would believe this fat asian kid is a badass?

but then they tried that crap for a full movie/web-series and it didn't work... not sure why

Season Two coming soon.... It's target audience is younger than yourself, and it is well produced

Season Two coming soon.... It's target audience is younger than yourself, and it is well produced

Well-produced doesn't mean it's good.

And I am the target audience, 21, video-gamer, the same generation as the creators.

They just didn't pull off season 1 well, and I think they're aware of that, considering the differences they've stated that season 2 will have

Or what about the 2 minute videos that compromise of 10secs of logo, 30 secs of previously on, 15 seconds of the episode, 30 seconds of "on the next episode" and 35 secs of credits/subscribe to us.

Good Christ, is this a tough room, or what?

I only have one gripe when it comes to shorts: not getting to the action fast enough or not getting to it effectively.

I'm not referring to opening credits either. I'm talking about once the actual film starts. I don't think of short films (those under 10 minutes anyway) as a forum for the "slow build" type of story line, or for genres that require time to work well. I don't think there's enough time in a short to establish characters, introduce setting and plot, and then build enough tension for it all be effective.

That's why I find horror shorts to be a waste of time. In order for a horror story to be effective, you have to have characters that are established enough to care about them, and have enough time to properly put them in peril. A 10 minute short doesn't give enough time to do that. At least, I've never seen it done well...

HA!!

Defo Zombies and gangsters...and guns and shit explosions!

Also really bored of the "Pull Back Reveal" type of story telling... This seems to me to have more in common with Joke telling and TV Commercials than it does Films.

Obviously there are times when it works brilliantly but now everybody seems to be doing it.

Well-produced doesn't mean it's good.

And I am the target audience, 21, video-gamer, the same generation as the creators.

They just didn't pull off season 1 well, and I think they're aware of that, considering the differences they've stated that season 2 will have

I was thinking more along the line of 12-16 actually. You and I (almost 19, also a little bit of a gamer) are probably a sub target market.

Not that I actually know what the target market is meant to be, but there are people I know who rave about it, however they are much younger, 13, 14.

Amateurs (like me) must be patient, spend more time on practicing the camera (or anything that matters) before we could display our work. I've used my friend's T2i five times and I hate everything that I did with it, but I can notice a slight improvement. I use my very own digital camera to try composing and that's been helping as well. DIY equipments I guess are just DIY so try to keep the camera work as simple as possible.

Another thing is to keep things simple, not just short films, but in any aspects of life, keep it simple but not small though.

Back