The Surprisingly Appealing Panasonic FZ300 which just got announced

"4K video is a huge part of the FZ300 experience. You can record 4K/UHD (3840 x 2160) video at 30p or 24p with full-time AF, manual controls, zebra stripes, 'cinelike' gamma, and much more - all at a bit rate of 100Mbps. If that's a bit too much, 1080/60p and lower resolution modes are also available. If you want to produce slow motion clips, there's a mode which records at 120 fps (1280 x 720). As mentioned earlier, the FZ300 combines optical and digital image stabilization to produce a 5-axis hybrid IS system, though as we've already noted that only kicks in when shooting HD (and lower resolution) video."

If you look past its fixed lens and tiny sensor (similar to a camcorder), then this appears to be a kick ass camera and at very low price! I won't buy it now, but when it comes on sale at half price in a year or two? Hell yeah. (its RRP at release is already under six hundred dollars)

4K video, weather sealing, 25-600mm zoom, constant f/2.8, 'cinelike' gama, 100Mbps, zebras, manual controls, 120fps @ HD, 5 axis stabilisation, mic jack input, and more!!

This could be a wonderful run and gun camera for a reporter, or as a back up camera to keep in the car. (need to grab a quick shot but it started dumping with rain? No problem with the FZ300! Got to get a very far away shot that you didn't bring a quite long enough lens for? No problem with the FZ300! Want a wide angle B cam to shoot 4K in an interview so you can punch in later? No problem with the FZ300! etc etc.... This won't ever be a camera which is perfect at any one specific thing, but will serve as a wonderful jack-of-all-trades to keep around in your tool kit "just in case")

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/10...-know-about-panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz300?slide=8

It'll be interesting to see how this lines up against the RX10ii. Looks like it will be a bit cheaper, and does have a slightly longer zoom on it.

Will be interesting. Personally, I love the idea of the '4k in your jeans' RX100mkiv - which I'm sure Panasonic will release a competitor for.

...Personally, I love the idea of the '4k in your jeans' RX100mkiv - which I'm sure Panasonic will release a competitor for.

Jax

In fact, Sony is almost a year late to market with the RX100 IV. The $798/£594/$884AUD 4K Panasonic DMC-LX100 pocket camera was released in September of last year.

Yes, the LX100 is slightly larger than the Sony, but it should still fit in your jeans, if they're not too tight ;)

It also has the viewfinder the Sony lacks - and a significantly larger m4/3 sensor than the RX.

Shooters are doing some very nice 4K work with it:

- FRAGMENTS OF LIFE

- The Camel (shot with GH4 and LX100)

- Venice in 4K | Panasonic Lumix LX100

- ICELAND // From My Eye // Shot in 4K on the LX100

- Panasonic LX100 YOKOHAMA

Cheers,

Bill

Back