• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

The Road- looking for feedback

Hey, I really liked it.

I think you need to make more of each scene though. And give it a bit more plot. Start them out thinking they're on the right road, start them off happy.

Then the car breaks down, and they still think they know where they're going, only by the second day, after they set out to cut across to a busier road, do they fully realize they're lost.

The first five pages really need to sell your short. I didn't get that sense. Visually the audience isn't going to know they are glucose tablets or necessarily know she is diabetic/hypoglycemic. I would emphasize that a bit initially so the dropped tablets make sense. Maybe have her take one or two and have him comment on it after she explodes. "Is your blood sugar getting low?" Now it will make more sense to the audience when they see the pills fall out.

For me, the characters and situation don't seem fully real. It doesn't make sense to leave a travelled road and the car to wander the desert--a truck, car, highway patrol, aircraft is likely to come by. Some of the dialogue could be honed to better support the story (pp 7-8); that section tends to ramble. The ending is supposed to be a twist. Selling it will rely heavily on your actor since he will need to appear delusional. I think it would be more poignant to sell it straight or find a way to show he is slipping off the deep end. The ending, to me, seemed forced. And would be unbelievable if Jack doesn't come across with a loose grasp of reality.

Format wise, please number your pages. It makes it hard to give you helpful feedback without them. Also the "FADE OUT/FADE IN" combo should be simply "FADE TO:". However, really you don't need to specify the transitions. You wrote "EXT NIGHT" and "EXT DAY". Where? "EXT. DESERT - NIGHT" or "EXT. DESERT, SITE #1 - NIGHT". The slugline helps to track locations and time. Was the second "EXT NIGHT" on p. 5 the same as on p.4 or a different night? You can distinguish them as
EXT. DESERT, SITE #1 - NIGHT (LATER) or EXT. DESERT, SITE #1 - NIGHT (2)

Who are Emma and Jack? Why should I care about them? Even in a short, you need me to care about the protagonist(s). In the first four pages, I didn't get the sense they cared for each other. That needs to be brought out a bit more. I would tighten up the dialogue, characters and plot elements. The basic idea is good overall for a short.

Thanks a lot for the input!

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...MzgyZi00YTUwLWE1NDgtYWNiOWFiNDk1Y2Iy&hl=en_US

That is the newly updated version of the script, I corrected all the formatting mistakes.

As to the characters, I was trying very hard to stay away from cheesiness. How can I show them being in love, without it coming off as contrived or cliche? Writing has never really been my forte lol, I've always been more a behind the camera person. Also, I wasn't really sure how to include elements certain elements into the script. Like montages of them traveling, where I can illustrate Jack's fading grasp on reality.

Last edited:
As to the characters, I was trying very hard to stay away from cheesiness. How can I show them being in love, without it coming off as contrived or cliche?
Writing relationships can be challenging; you need to draw on personal experience.

Writing has never really been my forte lol, I've always been more a behind the camera person. Also, I wasn't really sure how to include elements certain elements into the script. Like montages of them traveling, where I can illustrate Jack's fading grasp on reality.

What you wrote:
Code:
EXT. DESERT ROAD DAY

JACK (20) and EMMA (18) are driving down a lonely desert
         road. They are clearly lost.

EMMA
                   How could you be so stupid?

Jack looks straight ahead keeping his focus on the road.

EMMA
                   Jack, we're clearly lost!

JACK
                   OK look, I know it's around here...somewhere.

EMMA
                   You said that 10 minutes ago!

JACK
                   Why do you always have to be so
                   critical of everything?

EMMA
                        (sarcastically)
                   Well I'd rather not die out in the
                   middle of the desert

JACK
                   Just calm down, Em. I can't think-

EMMA
                   I'll calm down when we're not lost

JACK
                   We're NOT lost

Emma pouts in her seat, muttering to herself. They continue
         to drive for a while until Jack pulls over.

JACK
                   Alright, look. Let's... let's just
                   get out of this car and get some
                   fresh air...

You said they were 'clearly lost' in the description and then you have Emma say it. What does that really mean? If you're on the only road through a desert, you're not lost. You keep going ahead or you turn back. Lost is being in the middle of the city and seven blocks away from your destination, separated by multiple one way streets. Why are they on the road? On page three you say their "tent is just around the corner". So it implies they successfully navigated there at least once. Why didn't he use his trip odometer to track the distance? He's travelling the desert without having his car stocked with water and basic survival supplies?

Since your shooting this you can write it to your own style. However, your characters shouldn't act artificially to create the story, but respond to events as a reasonable person might, unless you're shooting a comedy. You also want to avoid long unbroken segments of dialogue.

Below is a hybrid shooting script. Since you're also the director, you can for your benefit include shots. As we often see spec scripts posted, I've included this as a short example for your first act which introduces the characters and sets up the situation.

Code:
LOW ANGLE SHOT catching highway and cactus against background of 
mountains.  A car drives past.

HIGH ANGLE SHOT of scavenger birds feasting on dead animal as the
car drives by.

INT.  CAR - DAY

Country music plays as the air conditioner blows.  A handsome man, 
JACK (20) in Hawaiin shirt over an athletic t-shirt with khakis, drives 
along.  In the passenger seat EMMA (18),  slim in a halter and shorts 
sits, holding a map in her hands.

EMMA
         I thought you said you knew how to get back!

JACK
         I do!  I set the trip odometer.  We drove 30 miles
         to reach the gas station.

She glances over at him, her glare evident even through the sunglasses.

JACK (Cont.)
          Look, it has to be around here somewhere.   
          There was a pull off onto a gravel road.

EMMA
          Mr. Expert Camper!  (heaves a sigh)  Did you
          pack water so I can take my pills?

Jack glances over worried.

JACK
          Are you okay?  Is it your blood sugar level?

She smiles and caresses his cheek.

EMMA
           I'll be okay once we get back to camp.

BANG.  The car begins to limp and buck.

JACK
           Damn it!  One of the tires blew.

EXT.  ROAD IN DESERT - DAY

The car pulls off to the side.  

The doors open and the two step out.

EMMA
           I needed some fresh air anyway.

She reaches into her purse and pulls out a lollipop.

Jack walks around and checks out the tire, heaves a deep sigh and
heads back to the trunk.

He opens the trunk and pushes aside a knapsack to get to the
jack and spare tire.  

He pauses, pulls a black box from his shorts, opens it to display an
engagement ring.  He smiles and sticks it into the knapsack.

Jack comes back round to the side of the car and squats as he 
places the jack under the rim.

He starts to kneel on the hot asphalt and

JACK
             Mother f...

He jumps up and strips off his Hawaiin shirt and folds it so he can 
kneel.

EXT.  ROAD IN DESERT - LATER

The car is up on the jack as Jack places on the spare.

OVER SHOULDER:  Emma admires Jack's back in his athletic T-shirt.

Emma comes over and begins to rub his shoulders.

EMMA
             That's what I love about you.

Jack's face is covered with grease as is his shirt.  Jack glances up at 
her over his shoulder.

JACK
             Because I can change a tire?

EMMA
             That ... and you're such eye candy as you do it.

He stands and starts to embrace her and she jumps back.

EMMA (Cont.)
             Not with those dirty hands!

He takes her in his arms and kisses her as a pickup drives by and honks.

They pull back.  He smiles as she wipes a smudge from his cheek. 

He starts to put away the tire and jack.

FADE TO:

INT. CAR - DAY

Emma points to a dirt road on the right.

EMMA
             Is that it?  I think I recognize that cactus and 
             boulder.

JACK
             I'm not sure.  Do you want me to go back
             to town?

EMMA
             No.  I'm getting really tired.  Let's see if it and 
             leads back to camp. 

EXT.  DIRT ROAD - DUSK

The car kicks up dust as it moves along the gravel road.

MONTAGE - TRIP BACK 

A.  Car crosses a long gravel stretch.
B.  Car crosses a dry gulch.
C.  Car climbs slowly through a narrow mountain road.
D.  Car moves slowly down a sharp twist.

END MONTAGE:

EXT.  MIDDLE OF DESERT - NIGHT

As they crawl along, the road disappears. 

POP.  The car stops.

Jack hops out, comes across in front of the headlights, and
sees the spare has gone flat.

Emma steps out.

EMMA
              What do we do now?

Jack looks at her.

JACK
               Look, you stay here.  I'll walk back to the
               road and get help.

The desert landscape is cold and stark by the light of the stars.

EMMA
               You're not leaving me here alone, Jack
               Parker!  I'm not going to be coyote food!

He looks over a her.  Her face is scrunched and melts.  They both smile.

He walks over and wraps his arms around her.

JACK
                You know, we don't really need a tent.
                Warm night, gentle breeze, lots of stars,
                all alone.

She gives him a gentle slug.

EMMA
                 You're a hopeless romantic.  All of our 
                 food and supplies!

He goes into the back of the car, grabs the backpack from
the trunk, sets it on the seat and pulls out two granola bars.

JACK
                 Voila!  Dinner is served.

She grabs her water and a prescription bottle from the inside
of the car.  She takes a couple pills.

She tosses the medicine bottle inside.

CU: of the prescription bottle falling onto the floor. 

EMMA
                 And dessert?

He strokes his chin and looks at the stars, deep in thought.

She laughs as he moves in beside her.

Okay, that's a particularly long re-write. The purpose is fourfold. You can have characters argue but still have them very much in love. Second, now they are stranded in a legitimate way, more or less believably. Third, we know she has a medical condition that will come into play. Fourth I included a short montage which I've experienced in my backroad camping. You'd adjust it to your setting. Fifth--okay I'm adding this as an afterthought--they are intelligent and well meaning. They are reacting to situations that force them to make choices. In the situation I created, they'd become vulture food if they don't attempt to go back to the road. But at this point they aren't aware of the dangers that await.

When I paste this into my formatting template, it comes out at about 4-5 pages. This is a hybrid Spec and Shooting script since you will be shooting your movie. Notice how the shot descriptions are included. In writing spec scripts, the shots would not be included.

Is the dialogue cheesy, cliche, contrived? To some degree, yes. I need it to convey in four pages that these characters care about each other and, to some extent, they are worth caring about. You don't want the audience rooting for Emma to die. You don't want them wondering what she ever saw in Jack. She hints it was his body, but his actions reflect a more genuine concern for her health and safety. In the later part of the script, you want to develop their relationship. Also the dialogue is broken up with visuals which help amplify the conversation and replace pieces.

The two other pieces of this short bit are the visual anchors. The passing pickup that honks reaffirms that if they can make it to the road, they will get help. The second is her taking the pills. This emphasizes their importance, along with the lollipop and the prescription bottle. The "Road" continues to serve as the salvation. Starting off towards the road marks the start of "Act Two" which is the meat of your short. Starting with the shot of the mountains and vultures/ravens in the beginning sets a visual tone. The spare tire and choosing to go off the road send yet another message. I would continue to play with those visual images throughout the rest of the movie script.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas of how you might proceed. There is no one right way. My take is to keep the situation and characters believable so that you're at least curious what will happen. You are telling a story. If you were to cut out all the dialog from my script, the visual imagery should still convey the essence of the story. Good luck with your shoot!

Writing relationships can be challenging; you need to draw on personal experience.

What you wrote:

You said they were 'clearly lost' in the description and then you have Emma say it. What does that really mean? If you're on the only road through a desert, you're not lost. You keep going ahead or you turn back. Lost is being in the middle of the city and seven blocks away from your destination, separated by multiple one way streets. Why are they on the road? On page three you say their "tent is just around the corner". So it implies they successfully navigated there at least once. Why didn't he use his trip odometer to track the distance? He's travelling the desert without having his car stocked with water and basic survival supplies?

Since your shooting this you can write it to your own style. However, your characters shouldn't act artificially to create the story, but respond to events as a reasonable person might, unless you're shooting a comedy. You also want to avoid long unbroken segments of dialogue.

Below is a hybrid shooting script. Since you're also the director, you can for your benefit include shots. As we often see spec scripts posted, I've included this as a short example for your first act which introduces the characters and sets up the situation.

Okay, that's a particularly long re-write. The purpose is fourfold. You can have characters argue but still have them very much in love. Second, now they are stranded in a legitimate way, more or less believably. Third, we know she has a medical condition that will come into play. Fourth I included a short montage which I've experienced in my backroad camping. You'd adjust it to your setting. Fifth--okay I'm adding this as an afterthought--they are intelligent and well meaning. They are reacting to situations that force them to make choices. In the situation I created, they'd become vulture food if they don't attempt to go back to the road. But at this point they aren't aware of the dangers that await.

When I paste this into my formatting template, it comes out at about 4-5 pages. This is a hybrid Spec and Shooting script since you will be shooting your movie. Notice how the shot descriptions are included. In writing spec scripts, the shots would not be included.

Is the dialogue cheesy, cliche, contrived? To some degree, yes. I need it to convey in four pages that these characters care about each other and, to some extent, they are worth caring about. You don't want the audience rooting for Emma to die. You don't want them wondering what she ever saw in Jack. She hints it was his body, but his actions reflect a more genuine concern for her health and safety. In the later part of the script, you want to develop their relationship. Also the dialogue is broken up with visuals which help amplify the conversation and replace pieces.

The two other pieces of this short bit are the visual anchors. The passing pickup that honks reaffirms that if they can make it to the road, they will get help. The second is her taking the pills. This emphasizes their importance, along with the lollipop and the prescription bottle. The "Road" continues to serve as the salvation. Starting off towards the road marks the start of "Act Two" which is the meat of your short. Starting with the shot of the mountains and vultures/ravens in the beginning sets a visual tone. The spare tire and choosing to go off the road send yet another message. I would continue to play with those visual images throughout the rest of the movie script.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas of how you might proceed. There is no one right way. My take is to keep the situation and characters believable so that you're at least curious what will happen. You are telling a story. If you were to cut out all the dialog from my script, the visual imagery should still convey the essence of the story. Good luck with your shoot!

Thanks a lot for the input! I'm going to get work on rewriting the first act over the next few days and the weekend, but I really do appreciate your advice. I'll let you know what I get done.

Alright here is the updated script:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qqEZhN_18lZ77eSulxxDMw163GlTI-mFcLrL2EUErSQ/edit?hl=en_US

I rewrote the first scene. Let me know what you think and also PLEASE by as harsh necessary. My feelings won't be hurt, I'm just here to learn.

I also added in one more scene, to help illustrate his descent into madness.

Also I tend not include shots into my script because for things like that I think better when I'm doing it with pen and paper. So I usually end up handwriting it in later.

Last edited:
I rewrote the first scene. Let me know what you think and also PLEASE by as harsh necessary. My feelings won't be hurt, I'm just here to learn.

I also added in one more scene, to help illustrate his descent into madness.

Also I tend not include shots into my script because for things like that I think better when I'm doing it with pen and paper. So I usually end up handwriting it in later.

I like how you've developed their relationship. They're more human and easier to care about. In the hallucination scene, you might want to make it more obvious that you're changing filming location.

Code:
EXT DESERT DAY LATER

Jack is walking with Emma in his arms. He's covered in sweat
         and his shirt is torn.

Suddenly he hears THE OCEAN. He looks around. He's on the
         beach. He see's himself and Emma playing on the beach.

PAST EMMA
                   Don't do it Jack! I'll kill you!

Laughing, Past-Jack, picks her up and starts carrying her
         out to the water. The two play out in the water, pushing and
         teasing each other.

EMMA
                   Jack? Why'd you stop?

Jack looks around. He's back in the desert.

There's a few ways of handling flashbacks. Below is one way to alert the reader that the scene is changing.

Code:
EXT.  DESERT  - DAY

Jack is walking with Emma in his arms. He's covered in sweat
         and his shirt is torn.

He hears THE OCEAN. 

FLASHBACK:
EXT. BEACH - DAY

He stands on the beach and glances about before taking a hesitant
step and stops. 

He sees himself and Emma playing on the beach.

EMMA
                   Don't do it Jack! I'll kill you!

Laughing,  the Other Jack, picks her up and carries her into the water.

The two play out in the water, pushing and teasing each other.

END FLASHBACK:

EMMA (O.S.)
                   Jack? Why'd you stop?

EXT.  DESERT  - DAY

Jack looks around to face Emma lying in the shade of a cliff in the 
desert.

To make this more powerful, I would film most of her voiced scenes from behind her. Only show her face when her eyes are closed or half open and not speaking. There's not an easy way to be that blatant in the spec script--"She watches him sit and poke the fire in front of her as she talks to him." In a hybrid shooting script, you can be more direct--"EMMA's POV of Jack sitting and poking the fire as she talks." This is an instance where I believe using shots in the spec script is more useful than hinting. There are purists who will disagree.

There are a couple of logical inconsistencies. At the end the scene is at dusk. He's used the flare. But the WOMAN exclaims, "... Get him out of the sun ..." At this point, the sun is not an issue.

And, yeah, I'm a stickler, but it's still not clear why they'd leave the safety of their car since it's on a travelled road. Or why they would leave the road go off into the desert. Why would you trade your car and its cushions for hard ground, snakes and scorpions? Just saying ...

Anyway, you did a great job with the characters. The dialogue is better.

Back