The Rights Price

Sorry if this seems like it is in the wrong room.

I have a friend. We'll call him Chuck. He wrote an underground novel. An indie movie studio is offering to buy the rights. How much should he get?

His book is in the top ten indie books at Amazon, and it has garnered attention from some accomplished writers.

Now this movie company is responsible for some of today's most progressive indie films (think puppeteers and pianos), yet it has offered him a dismal ammount (in my mind).

I am extremely hogtied with this, I don't want to give away too much info. But I am trying to tell him that he could do better.

Any help?

Poke

I'd like to help, but I have no idea. I've never had anybody offer me money for anything, so I wouldn't know where to start... :D

- Mike.

It's Okay

I bet that's gonna be the case with many here. I just think they are trying to undercut him and he should be getting more.

Poke

Yes

That's one of the suggestions I had for him.

The deal is kinda in limbo right now. He has another book coming out that the company is waiting for. After that book hits, they'll make another offer.

If you'd like to visit his website it can be found here.

Poke

HoustonWriter said:
Why not think about taking a percentage instead? If it's a hit, he stands to make a bundle.

Yeah, but if it never gets made or it sucks, he's lost out...

And I don't have experience in the area, but from what I've read it's almost impossible to get a % of the gross, and a % of the net amounts to pretty much nothing the way the accountants set up their budgets...

No matter what the cash offer is, I would also ask for 10 points. They will counter this, but if you end up with 3 or 5, that is still pretty darn good. Where is the agent/lawyer? Please tell me you have one doing the talking :D

Back