• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Plan - Short Film

Hey man! I loved your short, the only suggestion is that I would have cut it a little bit faster. But it's amazing.

Now I have a couple of questions that you have the right to refuse to answer:
How much was your budget?
Where did you get your crew from?
Did you pay them?

I ask it, because I want to make a short soon and I'm dealing with a huge lack of money and talent so if I could compare myself with your amazing short I could know where I'm standing now. Thanks! Amazing film!

Hey man, thanks for the input. The film was originally 2 minutes longer! Believe it or not. There was an entire scene shot that I got rid of. (You can see it here if you'd like: http://www.theplan-film.com/#!videos/c9qb the bottom right video)

As for your questions:

How much was your budget?
It was approximately 7,000$ - Most of the budget was spent on fuel and food and the time to get things right. It was shot in four days.

Where did you get your crew from?
The core crew where friends that I studied with at film school. Probably the biggest asset you can gain from film school is progressing with other people that are all filmmakers and always work together.

As for the art department (Art director, set dresser and assistant art directors) I got from an interior design collage. They where all in need of a project to complete their studies, so they worked on the film and got their degree in return.

The rest (Actors, makeup and others) I got by making calls and asking recommendations from the people I know. I met with many actors until I found out the right ones.

Did you pay them?
I payed about half the crew and payed the cast. The core crew; Producer, Assistant Director, Cinematographer and the entire art department didn't get payed. PA's got switched every day so they didn't get payed either, each one came and pitched in. Everyone else got payed.

I've made a couple of shorts and the thing that I found really helpful to understand is; make a proper breakdown of you shooting script. You need to be realistic about how much you can shoot in a day's-work. It's always possible to shoot 90 shots a day, but will those shots be good? Will you have time to get the acting the way you like? Will your crew have enough time to light and set up the shots? Will you have time to do everything well, instead of just getting it done?

If you know how much you can properly shoot in a day, you'll be much smarter about your budget. Everyone starts with no money and a lack of experience and the way to learn is to just do it... responsibly.

Again, thanks for the input and kind words. Hope these answers can help you with your short - good luck!

man i am such a big fan of this film..i honestly thought of something like this a while back but never actually put it into play..i can't wait to see what you do next man!

Watched this yesterday and rather enjoyed it. There was a couple of superflous shots in there but otherwise it was pretty dang good.

Thanks for sharing with us. :)

Hey,

Good work. is a good short. Things that stood out were it was shot very well, the music was great, sound was good. I personally found the story tough to follow as it was so abstract but i think i got it (mabe :blush:)... is it about a guy who joined the army and regrets it because he becomes a sheep with no personallity they take your brain etc? something like that?

Did you add a frame blending effect on the whole thing, seemed realy smooth.... something with the frame rate. Cant put my finger on it. If not, could be my browser.

Any way good work look foward to whats next.

Enjoyed that. The only thing that struck me as jarring was that huge sign at the end.

What did you use for your effects if you don't mind me asking?

And the music was great.

Hey,

Good work. is a good short. Things that stood out were it was shot very well, the music was great, sound was good. I personally found the story tough to follow as it was so abstract but i think i got it (mabe :blush:)... is it about a guy who joined the army and regrets it because he becomes a sheep with no personallity they take your brain etc? something like that?

Did you add a frame blending effect on the whole thing, seemed realy smooth.... something with the frame rate. Cant put my finger on it. If not, could be my browser.

Any way good work look foward to whats next.

The film is about whatever you take from it. For me, it is about a personal idea. It is about the memories of a person just through his feelings and not through what actually happen. Imagine telling someone how you felt about a past event, but never telling what actually happen. Now let the other guy guess what happen.

There is no frame blending effect. It's all shot on a 5D Mark II on 25FPS. There is an extensive use of dolly in the film. The assistant camera man that was in charge of getting all these movements right did a spectacular job.

Enjoyed that. The only thing that struck me as jarring was that huge sign at the end.

What did you use for your effects if you don't mind me asking?

And the music was great.

I used a mix of practical effects and After Effects. Check out the FACE CASTING Featurette on the website: http://www.theplan-film.com/#!videos/c9qb

Will give you some clue as to how we made the heads.

As for the part he split opens his head, it's gelatin pieces with lots of makeup strapped to his head, while bellow them we colored his head with green makeup. So that he can physically tear open the gelatin to reveal the green below - which acted like a greenscreen to be keyed out.

Back