The next step in production / Script submissions?

I have been producing at several boutique production company's as a staff producer for the past 5 years. I've produced Teasers / Trailers and Logo's for every major studio as well as commercials for several agencies. I have a good base of client contacts in many levels of media.

I want to make the jump to producing films.

I was talking to a friend of mine who has been a supervising producer on several network television shows. His advice was to find a book or a script that I believed could make a great movie and buy an option to sell the script or book to a studio with my name attached as a producer.

Does anyone have any advice on where I might go to find scripts or what I have to do to get script submissions?

Thanks!

inktip.com has scripts for sale

As for books check out the library or amazon. It would be great if you could find a series that's fairly strong, then contact the author/publisher and see about optioning it to produce a film. If you can get the rights commission a screenwriter to work on the screenplay.

Another avenue would be stage plays. My Big Fat Greek Wedding started as a stage play. As the story goes, Rita Wilson thought it would make a good film and had her husband (Tom Hanks) see it. He agreed and they produced the film.

As for submissions, you could put up a call for submissions on Mandy.com, or Craigslist. Probably other good options would be ads in Filmmaker and Script magazines. Heck, since you're in LA you could probably put an ad in the newspaper. There's always Variety too..

Hope that helps a little bit.

You're in Los Angeles.

Walk into any coffee shop, throw a rock and you'll hit a
writer. Believe me, as soon as you say you're looking for
a script, that writer won't even notice the blood.

But seriously....

I addition to the places Will mentioned, try small agents.

Thanks for the advice. Do you know any small agencies? I have the 411 and the Hollywood directory but it's always easier to get recomends from people.

You're in Los Angeles.

Walk into any coffee shop, throw a rock and you'll hit a
writer. Believe me, as soon as you say you're looking for
a script, that writer won't even notice the blood.

But seriously....

I addition to the places Will mentioned, try small agents.

You are in Los Angeles and you don't know one starving screenwriter???? :huh:

I know four and I live in Michigan!

It might not be a bad idea to talk to some of your friends maybe and see if you can come across a writer with some talent and some passion. I do think it is a good idea to look at the independent writers as well...

-- spinner :cool:

I do have a few friends that are writers. I've contacted them but most of my friends are in the production world. I've been asking around and received some good feedback and recomends. Like any good producer I like to go after as many options and oppurtunities as possible. I've just recently started to focus on my move to film production. Unfortunately, my timing isn't the greatest as we are right in the middle of the Writers strike.;)

Hey Full_AP

Hey Full_AP,

I don't know if you know it or not but I am a writer....no wait let me say that with conviction I AM A PASSIONATE WRITER! I have several copyright stage plays and am just now wanting to get my start in the film industry! Would you be interested in working with me? I could send you samples or whatever you need! I am just passionate about what I do and you gotta start somewhere so you let me know!

yours truly,

Triple Threat

Scripts available

I have 2 scripts pretty much ready to go and am 1/3 done with a third. If you want to read them and let me know what you think, then let me know.

Back