The New Media for Digital Storage ... DNA

In today's issue of the New York edition of The Epoch Times in the Art & Culture section on page B6 Technology, there is a fascinating article called, DNA STORAGE FOR YOUR HARD DRIVE.

Two scientists have developed a code to write digital information to DNA. There is speculation that DNA will replace magnetic media for data storage with this breakthrough.

"We downloaded the files from the web and used them to synthesize hundreds of thousands of pieces of DNA--the result looks like a tiny piece of dust."

Emily Leproust of Agilent Technologies.

That is far out! Maybe they've solved the problem of long term storage of digital information (I mean for archiving things like digital films, for example, like we've discussed before on this forum), then. Among other things. Neato.

Last edited:
i read about that at work the other day... not only is it awesome, but it sounds like something out of a campy sci-fi B-movie... making it all the more awesome

I imagine the read-write speeds take it out of contention as a short term alternative to current magnetic media, but for long-term archival storage it could be a great solution.

Back