The Interpreter

Went and saw the interpreter the other day at the cinema - Sydney Pollack, Sean Penn and Nicole Kidman a host of production companies including the british 'Working Title' <- although arguements could be drawn as to how british working title actually are in a climate where british cinema is grovelling in the dirt waiting to be blown to oblivion by distribution giants that are 'tired of the british look' which, I might point out is the fault of working title who year after year managed to establish the look of the british film to the mainstream market as a depressing, no-hope, working class, overly ethnicated, pile of gip.
Anyway...
I went to see the interpreter the other day and thought it was not too bad! Apparently and obviously the first film shot in the UN, and it seems that they've called a lot of favours by giving as much credit within the script to how amazing and diplomatic and peace and world saving the UN is - this is open to independent thought - one thing I did think about the film was that the script was full of the overly juiced cliches that are apparent in many drama/thrillers of it's ilk. For example, cop has a trauma, goes back to work (boss does the classic 'are you sure you're ready to come back to work, blah blah blah', and that trauma brings the cop and the victim he's working to help together in the end... yawn. Another thing that I spotted was it seemed that everyone was always whispering very intently about very important things, except the very important things they were whispering about just got a bit trivial and a bit boring.
The cinematography was a bit bland considering the past masterful work of Darius Khondji who has delivered beautiful tones in 'Delicatessen' etc... it wasn't bad it just wasn't that amazing, I.E. didn't live up to my expectations.

Anyone else seen it? want to comment? blah blah blah?

Click here for IMDB info on The Interpreter

i went to the tribeca film festival this week and got to hear sydeny pollack talk about th film and his past films. he seems like a really cool, down to earth guy. he said he is the most film illiterate director out there, i found that interesting.

I saw The Interpreter last saturday and I found it to be... ok., nothing special. i think that i would rather spend money on speed or prostitutes, but it was an okay substitute

Never really seemed that interesting in the first place, but it does have a pretty solid lineup. I mean, it doesn't have Kevin Costner, that's a reason to watch it.

JK, props to Kevin, Field of Dreams was pretty good.

Darn, that's too bad to hear. I thought the movie looked like it really had some potential from the previews. Oh well!

Back