• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Inside of the Outside

I would never consider myself an experimental filmmaker by any means, but I like to dabble in it, usually for specific reasons. This short film is actually something I did for one of my film classes; I had to create a "structural" film. I normally would've preferred to write a short narrative film but I chose to try something experimental, something I've been wanting to do for a while - a 2-channel film.

Basically, my whole concept was to have two videos playing at once, juxtaposing people's emotions. I got a bunch of middle-class suburbanites that work at my Mom's school to do the acting for me, it was a lot of fun working with them, some of them were so bad at acting but I really still loved it so I decided to use some of the footage anyways. During the editing process, another idea blossomed, and that was to "censor" people's eyes out, to somewhat mask their identity. I did this because I wanted to keep everyone anonymous, I wasn't allowed to use this footage anyways because it's against this city school system's rules to film in any of their schools, and because I thought it added some humor to the video, something that I am keen on.

Another concept that I had going behind this video was inspired by Truffaut's "Shoot the Piano Player", a film with a lot of dramatic tonal changes. The viewer is constantly confused about what to feel, it's bizarre and awkward, but I think it is effective. I thought it would be fun to play with this idea myself, since Truffaut is one of my favorite filmmakers.

In conclusion, I would like any feedback on the video, it's my first "short film" in months, and I do like it quite a bit.

Here's the link - https://vimeo.com/39913612

Back