The Hollywood Crash is Coming (Youtube video)

Came across this this recent video this arvo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imSg8ZH94zg

Thought it was relevant to share. He has some points and some great quotes. I don't agree with his conclusion that a crash is coming. High budget films fail when they suck. They perform well if they're good and marketed correctly.

Makes me wonder if he discovered the concept of stagflation and then made this video.

What do you think on the topic? Are we heading for a crash? If we are, what will then happen?

What do you think on the topic? Are we heading for a crash? If we are, what will then happen?

Movie studios will downsize or split up. Movies will be restructured to be made more cheaply, and studios may even refuse to work with certain actors due to the high asking prices, unless or until those actors choose to go with the flow and settle with the new status quo of a smaller paycheck. Movie theater chains will close down. Movies will become even more niche and hopefully will be more willing to take risks due to the smaller price tag but the larger potential reward by comparison. And we will all be better off for it.

This is my hopeful scenario. I can even feel it in myself that my own tastes for films and how they are made and distributed are changing. I never want films to get smaller in scope or scale. I want to be able to see a new Star Wars movie for decades to come, the same with other franchises that have a lot to offer. I want special effects to continue to evolve in new and exciting ways, but that will require a decent amount of money and time to develop and experiment with. So movies can't just get less complicated with effects requirements and visual splendor. But at the same time, I feel like I'm less and less inclined to go to the movies. Not just because I find myself incapable due to scheduling conflicts each week, but also because I do think it's easier and increasingly just as valuable to me as sitting in a theater with 5.1 surround sound. Nothing can ever replace the theater experience, I just find myself craving it less and less as the months and years go on. And I think if more and more unique and even experimental films can start being made by the likes of Netflix or Amazon, there won't be a shortage of work out there, and there won't be a shortage of movie viewing options that hopefully make a decent profit compared to their budgets.

This is a great video essay. Lots of good points. But the cinematic experience ain't dying any time soon. There is still no better way to see a movie than at the theater, and lots of people know that. I don't understand how more filmmakers aren't aware of that fact. Who the fuck are you surrounding yourself with?

Back