• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

The Difficulties of Low or No Budget Short Films

Ok so I have this anxiety about writing a short film because I don't want to right something that can't be shot or would be shot poorly. When talking about a short film on no or low budget, what are some things you guys think about. For instance, how can you make something that's not completely filled with dialogue yet still has enough variety of settings, angles, and action to be entertaining and not look amateur. A main issue that runs into my head is writing characters for which I have no actors. Isn't that difficult for some of you? Like you write a great character but then can't find the person to play it. Anyway I just wanted to start a discussion on dealing with the limitations of extremely low budget short films. Please share your thoughts.

... If you really want to learn about micro/no budget storytelling, go and watch a movie called 12 Angry Men. It's a black and white movie that has pretty much stood the test of time...

I watched the movie a few days ago on TV again and I'm still amazed how good it is. It's one of my favourites. Every indie movie maker should watch this one at least once.

I watched the movie a few days ago on TV again and I'm still amazed how good it is. It's one of my favourites. Every indie movie maker should watch this one at least once.

...and it's pretty much all dialogue.

and was (and can be) made for virtually nothing.

A one location shoot with one or two actors is ideal.

How do you keep the story interrsting?

Is that what is really being asked?

That is the challenge of the writer.

Build your DVD collection with those type of films.

I sold a spec script I called The Hand of Nemesis about a man who killed a former girlfriend to steak her money and shack up with another woman.

Fate takes a strange twist as he meets the hand of justice for his dirty deed.

Two characters and one house was all that was needed for the filming.

Seriously, how many stories are out there made for The Twilight Zone with one actor in one location that is interesting?

Back