• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Demo Reel! It's Finally Here!

I'm not sure what your clientele is going to be so I'm leery of critquing your reel. Overall it looks good. Some of the footage looks a little plain so you might want to replace those shots that are plain/flat with more artistic stuff. The only thing that really stood out, however, was a frame or two of black around 30 seconds. If it was intensional then fine but it looked more like a mistake to me. Might want to verify that.

Otherwise it looks good. Definitely on the right path.

There were no black frames that I saw. Although Youtube is not the highest quality in hosting. :)

Overall, nicely done. The footage from "bittersweet" still stands out as the best stuff. I loved the
tv bashing at the end.
Fun.

I've been looking at lots of demo reels and this actually kept me engaged...so far that's been my reaction to several demo reels I've seen is theat they linger too long on just about everything...I lose interest (Lots of TV growing up).

Thunderclap said:
I'm not sure what your clientele is going to be so I'm leery of critquing your reel. Overall it looks good. Some of the footage looks a little plain so you might want to replace those shots that are plain/flat with more artistic stuff. The only thing that really stood out, however, was a frame or two of black around 30 seconds. If it was intensional then fine but it looked more like a mistake to me. Might want to verify that.

Otherwise it looks good. Definitely on the right path.

For this summer our clients will mostly consist of local businesses needing television commercials. Can you please specify which shots you feel are flat? Thanks!

LOGAN L Productions said:
Can you please specify which shots you feel are flat? Thanks!

A lot of the exterior shots are flat but there isn't a lot that can be done about it, unfortunately. You might want to do some color correcting to give the sky a little more blue as an example just to give the shots a little more color. The stuff I really like is the well lit stuff that has good color contrasts such as the flower (rose?) peddles towards the end and even the microphone at the beginning because of the depth of field.

As a promo for your company, it's good. As a demo reel for your work as a director or cinematographer, it's not. What is the purpose of the reel? Director's reel? Editor's reel? Company promo?

indietalk said:
As a promo for your company, it's good. As a demo reel for your work as a director or cinematographer, it's not. What is the purpose of the reel? Director's reel? Editor's reel? Company promo?

It's actually all of that, and just today it got me a new agent! Why do you say its bad for a director/cinematographer? Too short and fast?

It's actually all of that, and just today it got me a new agent!

Congrats! How did that end up happening, was it you pushing your demo to potential agents, or more passive?

Why do you say its bad for a director/cinematographer? Too short and fast?
Yeah, when i look at cinematographer's reel, what I don't want to see is a montage or quick cuts, I like to see short scenes, or longer takes of beautiful shots. You probably need a few different reels. For a director's reel, I'd use a compilation of short films, or actual scenes from those films.

Well I am actually working on several reels. That agent I spoke of wants a showreel for acting, and a different resume for everything I do.

Knightly, I was given this lady's number and left her a message sending her to my site. It was a cool experience all around. She called me back and left me an awesome message praising the reel and the site, etc. (maybe because I'm young). I do understand where Indie is coming from, but my first priority with this was to captivate the viewer(s) and make him/her watch it over and over. Most of my stuff is short attention span commercial/music video/viral video style anyway, so its sort of true to my style. After this summer I will have better scenes that I can show off. I think it also shows my editing, though.

P.S. Hey Indie is that little picture really what you look like? Or is that something else?
LOL, Billy Wilder. I guess I'll be changing it, lol.

Back