The Best Films Since 2000: Future Movie Classics (A Dynamic List)

Hey guys,

I'm currently re-watching all of the films that I've seen since 2000 (plus checking out some that I've never seen) so that I can re-look at these films with a new and critical eye. Some movies have remained classics in my eyes, others aren't quite as good as I remember them being, and some I've actually liked a lot more this time around. These movies are prime examples of quality filmmaking, whether they are adult dramas, action movies or teenage comedies. The acting, direction, cinematography, writing and pacing are all top notch. Above all, though, they are, in my opinion at least, the most memorable films of the decade. I've put the films in alphabetical order from the best quality to the least (5.0/5.0 movies then 4.5/5.0 then 4.0/5.0 then 3.5/5.0). This list has the potential to grow as I watch more and more films, so watch out for new additions!

3.5 - Good (5 Total)
4.0 - Very Good (11 Total)
4.5 - Great (16 Total)
5.0 - Classic (30 Total)

Comments and suggestions for movies that you think I should check out are welcome! :)

The List: http://www.imdb.com/list/TD9gEeJbjnk/

P.S.: I've written short critiques of each movie to explain why I chose them.

Tight list.....although "There Will Be Blood" should have been number 1- it is the best film to come out of the decade, incredible film.

Cant believe you ranked "No Country For Old Men" at 41!

Good list though I agree with a good bit of it.

If you don't mind talking heads and philosophy-Waking Life Classic-I don't know, but 4.0 at least from me.

I think Dark Knight has to get consideration 5.0 from me

The FIRST Pirates movie (Curse of Black Pearl) 4.0 definitely. The sequels, eh, not so much.

Keep in mind, I'm considering "good" as "I buy the DVD and watch it over multiple times" my criteria :)

Tight list.....although "There Will Be Blood" should have been number 1- it is the best film to come out of the decade, incredible film.

Cant believe you ranked "No Country For Old Men" at 41!

Good list though I agree with a good bit of it.

Sorry Deus but you are interpreting the list incorrectly. A.I. is not my #1 movie of the decade and No Country For Old Men is not #41. I have four separate categories - 5.0/5.0 movies then 4.5/5.0 then 4.0/5.0 and so on. The list starts with 5.0/5.0 movies and is in alphabetical order so it only makes sense that There Will Be Blood would be higher up and A.I. would be first. Personally I place There Will Be Blood at #3 right now with Waking Life at #1 and Eternal Sunshine at #2.

If you don't mind talking heads and philosophy-Waking Life Classic-I don't know, but 4.0 at least from me.

I think Dark Knight has to get consideration 5.0 from me

The FIRST Pirates movie (Curse of Black Pearl) 4.0 definitely. The sequels, eh, not so much.

Keep in mind, I'm considering "good" as "I buy the DVD and watch it over multiple times" my criteria :)

Thanks for suggesting POTC - I remember enjoying the first but I don't really remember it so I plan on re-watching it at some point to see how I feel about it after years down the line.

As far as The Dark Knight is concerned, it was originally a 4.5/5.0 for me when I first launched the list, but it was actually one of two movies that I put there out of nostalgia and not because I had re-watched and examined it closely. When I finally did re-watch it I realized that a lot of the acting is mediocre (towards the beginning especially) and each scene feels like it's being rushed to get to the next Joker moment. With the exception of the Joker the film didn't feel quite as natural in how the characters were acting as in other movies that received higher rankings.

That said, however, I DID feel that it was a good movie and one that's well worth watching which is why it's on my list. There are several great things about it - Ledger's performance, the cinematography, the pacing (as in you never feel bored), the philosophy and intriguing thoughts on morality towards the end. So yeah, I'm being very picky about things, but I feel that if one is to even bother doing a list like this then one must be as picky as possible.

Good list, some of my personal favorites on there (Pan's Labyrinth, Spirited Away, LOTR) AI and the Fountain are both beautiful movies that I don't think get enough love. Grizzly Man I like, though it's far from my favorite Herzog (far from my favorite Herzog just in the last decade, really, but I'm a bit of a rabid fan); I'd put Invincible myself. I'd also trade Waking Life for A Scanner Darkly by Linklater, possibly the best Phillip K Dick adaptation, overlooking that Blade Runner is an amazing movie...just not a good adaptation!

I had the opposite reaction. The first I thought was okay (though my girlfriend is a huge fan). The second I enjoyed more (though could have done with a bit less Orlando Bloom). The third I absolutely loved (with the exception of the character-derailing bonus scene at the end of the movie).

I would also add The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (Tideland too, but that's a lot more difficult to watch) and Inland Empire (difficult in a completely different way than Tideland).

Back