The Best Films & Filmmakers of 2007

A few more catch-ups from '07:

Lars and the Real Girl: An odd little film that's a bit too quirky for it's own good. Gosling is quite good here, but the script is half-baked.

I have to agree with you here. I was very excited for the film, just off of me having seen Gosling in Half Nelson and being wowed, and thought it seemed like a quirky/fun premise. It sadly fell a bit flat and I was convincing myself throughout the whole movie that "This is pretty good" "Not bad at all" and then finally admitted to myself - "Not so hot"....

Ah well....

I have to agree with you here. I was very excited for the film, just off of me having seen Gosling in Half Nelson and being wowed, and thought it seemed like a quirky/fun premise. It sadly fell a bit flat and I was convincing myself throughout the whole movie that "This is pretty good" "Not bad at all" and then finally admitted to myself - "Not so hot"....

Ah well....

Agreed. After Half Nelson I thought this was going to be a Best of 2007, but just came out ok. Better than Fracture at least.

Otherwise i largely agree with the list. Makes for a long list of some great movies.
Though I would have expected to see some more Documentaries listed. Is it the poor box office they are getting, or are Documentaries going out of fashion?

one of the worst: I Am Legend

This film was described to me by one of my friends, who i believed had a reputable grasp on film, as 'awesome' and 'one of the best films' he had 'ever seen', so naturally i looked into it. But, i agree entirely with you when you say it was one of the worst films of the year. i think perhaps, rather than relying on the distinctly 'I, Robot' esque CGI 'infected', which i found ineffective as it removed any sense of realism from the film, maybe Francis Lawrence could have taken the Danny Boyle route and used made-up extras, which in '28 Days Later' was vastly more horrifying.

apologies for any mistakes made when posting this reply, its my first post on this site (i signed up about 10 minutes ago!)

best of 2007

Grindhouse
No Country For Old Men
Sweeney Todd
There Will Be Blood
Zodiac____Top 5 best from the list in no particular order....we need more movies like grindhouse, which pay homage to the old skool b rated horror movies....:weird:

American Gangster was a pretty good movie. I liked it. I haven't had time to watch tv or movies but some of these movies on here seem pretty cool.

The Best Films & Filmmakers of 2007 is follow..............
1.John Cameron Mitchell:-
Mitchell directed, wrote and starred in the film Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001), for which he the received Best Director and Audience awards at the Sundance Film Festival and the Grand Prix at Deauville Film Festival
2.Todd Ahlberg:-
Filmmaker Todd Ahlberg began his career in production in 1987 at San Francisco Production Group, a leading post and special effects house in San Francisco. Since then, he has worked as producer/ director on a number of film and online projects.
3.Brooke Sebold:-
Brooke Sebold has been producing, directing and editing documentary films in the Bay Area for the last four years. In late 2006, along with co-directors Benita and Todd Sills, Brooke completed her first feature length documentary Red Without Blue.
4.Arturo Perez Torres:-
Arturo was born in Mexico City and studied film in San Francisco and sociology in the Netherlands. After years of working in advertising he made his first documentary Wetback (2005).
5.Jonah Markowitz:-
Jonah Markowitz studied film at Emerson College in Boston, taking semesters abroad to study art history and film studies in Holland and The Czech Republic. Upon graduation, Markowitz moved to LA to pursue a career in film.
6. Philip Szporer:-
Philip Szporer is a freelance writer, filmmaker and international lecturer based in Montreal. He is Scholar in Residence at the Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival and was awarded a Pew National Dance/Media Fellowship at UCLA.

07 Worst Movie..I Am Legend?

I don't understand why you think that I Am Legend is a terrible movie? I think that is actually a really good movie with a great point.

What is so terrible about it?:huh:

I don't understand why you think that I Am Legend is a terrible movie? I think that is actually a really good movie with a great point.

What is so terrible about it?:huh:

Granted Will Smith's performance, as it usually is, was fantastic. The shots of an empty New York City, mesmerizing.
But for the most part, I Am Legend was an extremely faulted mainstream summer blockbuster. Why? Let me count the ways...

#1 THE ZOMBIES or whatever those things were supposed to be. The all CGI creatures completely killed my suspension of disbelief.

#2 ACT 3. It felt like the last third of the film was thrown together and crammed into the final reel just to get it done. The woman who came to save Smith at the end, who was she? Why do we care? There wasn't much explanation to anything.

#3 The ending. Bla. If you've read the book, you know that the movie left a big Cleveland Steamer on the title's metaphor.

I'm curious: what do you find so fantastic about this film? I'm all ears.

Back