• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

the bad shake

OK, so we have chosen this location, and we decided that this specific road is a nice place to do a run scene.

but its bumpy, i mean REALLY bumpy.

to our disposal, a car that we could hold a camera on, although, you get my point, the bumpyness, we have out golf cart rig (we have a set up for our camera on it) but that is all so toooo bumpy, and we sure as hell cant run with it...... what should we do?

and i brought this up due to some one Else's post, and we where having the same problem with this scene, i don't have a Mac let alone final cut, we have been avoiding this scene....

If your interested in a new location..
Find a rural road that has a train track paralleling it. Ready made dolly track! Sheet of 1" plywood and a couple skate boards....

Or, another new location idea .
Lots of interstates and high ways parallel "frontage" roads.. roads that used to be the old hwy, much more interesting as roads.. your filming the old road while driving on the new one..

have the human body act as a rig to separate the movement of the vehicle from the movement of the camera. Collapse your tripod and hold just under the head (I recommend some kind of strapping so you don't drop the camera/tripod) and hold it out from your body to separate the motion. This is essentially the same principal used with steadicam's arm system.

Smooth the road by laying a bunch of plywood down along the path of travel (see local BMX guys for a how to ;) ). This will minimize the shake from the vehicle... if you are limited in how much plywood you can put down, have grips move the plywood from the back to the front of the vehicle as you go along.

have the human body act as a rig to separate the movement of the vehicle from the movement of the camera. Collapse your tripod and hold just under the head (I recommend some kind of strapping so you don't drop the camera/tripod) and hold it out from your body to separate the motion. This is essentially the same principal used with steadicam's arm system.

Smooth the road by laying a bunch of plywood down along the path of travel (see local BMX guys for a how to ;) ). This will minimize the shake from the vehicle... if you are limited in how much plywood you can put down, have grips move the plywood from the back to the front of the vehicle as you go along.

thanks a ton! that first part is a great idea, don't think we can pull off the second though!

Back