The Avengers used iPhone 4 for filming

Let's just hope this movie is good. I am a little worried since it has so many characters. Having so many characters how do you develop the characters and make it interesting or will this just be an action fest. I hope this film has a story to it that makes it worth watching. Who is the protagonist and who is the antagonist when you have a team of super heros? In other words who will be the main character that the story revolves around you can't focus on everyone. That is what I am wondering. I have not read the comics so I don't know. But this looks cool.

I am a fan of Buffy and Fire Fly so I got my hopes up that Avengers will be good. I am also excited about Iron Man 3 since Shane Black is involved and writing and directing it.

Last edited:
Let's just hope this movie is good. I am a little worried since it has so many characters. Having so many characters how do you develop the characters and make it interesting or will this just be an action fest. I hope this film has a story to it that makes it worth watching. Who is the protagonist and who is the antagonist when you have a team of super heros? In other words who will be the main character that the story revolves around you can't focus on everyone. That is what I am wondering. I have not read the comics so I don't know. But this looks cool.
I think this is a huge benefit to the way Marvel Studios is now creating a shared universe within their movies. Less time can be spent introducing characters in subsequent films since the idea is that you're already familiar with them from previous films, allowing them more time to devote to actual development and plot.

Personally, I'm hoping for the lack of a clear protagonist, since that would deemphasize the other characters which would be detrimental in an ensemble setting. If only they had tapped PTA to write and direct...

I am also excited about Iron Man 3 since Shane Black is involved and writing and direction it.
Shut up and take my money.

I cannot possibly imagine a situation in which an iPhone is a superior choice to a DSLR. This reeks of gimmick.

I agree with this, wholly. With one small exception. If you were going to put your camera in harm's way, and you felt rather confident that the shot would end up breaking the camera, you might want to use an iPhone. Otherwise, I can't imagine any reasonable justification for this.

I would probably use a Flip if I was worried about breaking a camera not my iphone. I think one reason to use the iphone would be if you want to show people filming with an iphone in the movie then show what they are filming by showing what actually was recorded by an iphone. Since many events are now filmed by iphones when people see things happening it makes since that fans would see a super hero fighting a bad guy and film it with their iphone. That is if the hero existed in real life. Maybe this adds some realness to the film.

Last edited:
I would probably use a Flip if I was worried about breaking a camera not my iphone.
I was going to say that, heh. Interestingly enough, this thread also happens to coincide with my fairly rational hatred of Apple.

I passionately dislike a lot of things, come to think of it.

I think one reason to use the iphone would be if you want to show people filming with an iphone in the movie then show what they are filming by showing what actually was recorded by an iphone. Since many events are now filmed by iphones when people see things happening it makes since that fans would see a super hero fighting a bad guy and film it with there iphone. That is if the hero existed in real life. Maybe this adds some realness to the film.
Okay, I could see that, but if that's what's actually in the movie I think it would be false to suggest that that's an "unconventional shooting technique." Integrating in-world found footage into the movie proper is hardly unconventional and makes the specific use of the iPhone about as relevant and important as the HVX200 of Cloverfield.

Apparently they didn't use an iPhone but a 5D II and the DP was misquoted in that interview.

That would make more sense I suppose, especially as McGarvey has spoken about using his 5D for a sequence on We Need To Talk About Kevin.

Yep, just read the same thing on Twitter. And it makes a whole lot more sense...especially since the iPhone 4 wasn't really out when they were shooting the Avengers, was it?

May I refer you to my earlier post…

The 4 came out June 2010, it's the 4S that's just been released :)

That would make more sense I suppose, especially as McGarvey has spoken about using his 5D for a sequence on We Need To Talk About Kevin.

May I refer you to my earlier post…

Exactly, but when did filming on The Avengers wrap? I mean, I suppose they could have used the 720p of the regular 4 for something or other, but I thought it sounded a little suspect...

Last edited:
Exactly, but when did filming on The Avengers wrap? I mean, I suppose they could have used the 720p of the regular 4full-siren for something or other, but I thought it sounded a little suspect...

According to Wikipedia, "principal photography began on April 25, 2011" and "in September 2011, production moved to New York City for two days to wrap up filming".

I did find it odd that Paramount's logo is on the trailer even though Disney is distributing solo....

Paramount distributed Iron Man I and II, Captain America, and Thor. Universal did Hulk and Incredible Hulk. Disney bought Marvel Studios (and comics) and the movie rights to all their characters that aren't already contracted to other studios (Columbia/Sony for Spider-man and Fox for X-Men and Fantastic Four, which explains all the reboots so fast lest Disney get the profits on those characters).

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118044282

That answers that!

I did find it odd that Paramount's logo is on the trailer even though Disney is distributing solo....

Paramount distributed Iron Man I and II, Captain America, and Thor. Universal did Hulk and Incredible Hulk. Disney bought Marvel Studios (and comics) and the movie rights to all their characters that aren't already contracted to other studios (Columbia/Sony for Spider-man and Fox for X-Men and Fantastic Four, which explains all the reboots so fast lest Disney get the profits on those characters).

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118044282

That answers that!

I hate Disney! Always did and i still do! Disney just didnt buy marvel..it was a hostel takeover..trust me i was a shareholder...and there was a lawsuit to stop it but Disney paid off everyone....HAAAATE Disney..and to be honest except for iron man and Cap america(i didnt like iron man and didnt bother to see 2 and cap america)...the other films (made by disney) were a total waste and were garbage... i do hope and think this one will be too.

Last edited:
except for iron man and Cap america(i didnt like iron man and didnt bother to see 2 and cap america)...the other films (made by disney) were a total waste and were garbage... i do hope and think this one will be too.

Paramount distributed and MARVEL STUDIOS made Iron Man, Iron Man II, Captain America, and Thor... Marvel Studios is now owned and distributed by DISNEY.

Back