The 50 Greatest Movie Stars of All Time

Great list -- I would have added Michael Caine, Walter Matteau and Orson Welles - Gene Kelly was an unsettling absentee as well.

I would replace Julia Roberts with Dustin Hoffman (but I realize this list is more "star power" and bankabilty than talent). The 100 Greatest Performances in the new issue if Premier is REALLY excellent. This list focuses on truly fantastic performances in screen (and would not include Julia Roberts, BTW).

How can Tom Cruise be ranked third and Tom Hanks be ranked 28th? And why is Will Smith on there and not Jim Carrey? If we're ranking Stars and Star Power, I have some serious issues with this list.

Poke

And couldn't they find a better picture for James Stewart

James Stewart! -- Hell -- I thought it was ET!

I really must get my eyes tested soon!

And why is Will Smith on there and not Jim Carrey?

Or even why Will Smith and not Eddie Murphy.

Last edited:
Don't remember if he was in there, but my vote goes to leo dicaprio for having great range...watch his eyes in the man in the iron mask as the two characters...totally different eyes.

While I pretty much agree with most of what's been added to this thread, the list has more to do with being a MOVIE STAR than it does being an actor...

From the site:

"In this feature, you’ll see 50 embodiments of that most indefinable term, star quality. You will see male sex symbols who are undeniably Adonis-like, and others who are not nearly as refined in the physical-feature department but could still make their targets melt. You’ll see a squeaky-clean singer with a sultry side and a toddler with all the confidence of ten seasoned vaudevillians. The thing about star quality is that it’s mercurial. As the saying goes, you know it when you see it."

They're plainly talking stardom and movie stars rather than the 50 best actors of our time...

filmy

Back