The 3CCD Camcorder Dilemma

I'm toooootally stuck, I'm on the market for a new 3CCD MiniDV camcorder, but I'm not sure which one to get.

Just like everybody else in the world, I'd love to have the new Canon XL2 or perhaps the new Sony HDR, alas, I have no dough.

What do you guys think about the Pansonic GS400, does it have just as good a picture as the high-end 3CCD cameras, or is the difference only in the options and manual controls.

Any input from you DP or DV Professionals out there would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Jon

Well I'm not a pro :no: but have used the Panny 3CCD GS120 camcorder. :yes:

You can see some footage at http://cootdogproductions.com :D

The only gripe I really have is the low light problem... by problem I mean that anything under 30 lux is bad, grainy, and pretty much unusable.
I just taped a wedding and reception this past weekend. Everything was fine until they dimmed the lights at the reception... the footage is unusable... I'll be flying back to IL on Thursday and should be putting the footage in the editing station next week. I may be able to do something with the footage, but from first look, it's bad.

If you watch the short "Lightning" you'll see lighting issues.

The GS400 is a great camera for the price I am told. Haven't used it myself. It DOES have full resolution 16:9 and (I believe) a pseudo progressive scan. It certainly won't be as good as the XL2. This is really a high end consumer camera while the XL2 was designed with pros in mind. It really is true - you get what you pay for.

That's too bad the footage was ruined CootDog. The GS120 is a great little camera but it's 1/6" chips really do cause low light problems. Great cam though.

It should also be noted that the DVX has a propensity for being noisy with all of it's cinema settings on. The XL2 shocked me with its absolutely pristine footage in low light. No grain whatsoever unless you turn up the gain. Really amazing.

I have the panny as a lot of us know by now, and im gonna hype it up in this thread again! I love it so much, and dont think i'd use any other camera unless i got em for free ofcourse.

You might want to wait until the price drops though, if the panny gets some good competition then they'll drop the price, and youll get all that camera for less :) But i love it and wouldnt trade it for any camera out right now.

The other option would be to get an affordable one (like the GS200, the little extra $$ is worth it for the higher res capture and all) .. rent a spendy one when it's NEEDED, and when you can afford it, then buy the spendy one, which will cost less by then. ;)

t'is my plan.

and a good plan it is. I like having a DVX but I must say renting is very viable. For working on large projects I think renting is always the best answer (unless you get your hands on one of these home made HD cinema cameras...). Shooting HD will up your chances of finding distribution numerous times.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I think I'm just gonna save up and hold out for a nice Canon XL2. In the end it'll be worth the wait and the saving. Besides, I can always borrow cameras from my school until I'm able to get my own.

In the meantime, I'm investing in a nice PowerMac G5 dual 2.0 GHz so I can re-edit my past films in higher resolution and all around better quality.

Hopefully in a couple months I'll have them all ready for you guys to view

Thanks again!

Jon

I have living proof for all filmmakers that it truely is the story and substance that matters, not the stuff.

My Video Production class package is:

a DVX100A
a $1500 Sennheiser mic and
Pinnacle Liquid

and we couldn't have done a crappier movie if we tried.

See, I joined that class because I thought it would be good experience but everyone else joined because they thought it would be a free period everyday...so they aren't exactly actors or talent...

and I wanted to hit the kid who did the boom. Rather than hold it horizontally, he held it like a damn fishing pole.

loyfilms said:
I'm toooootally stuck, I'm on the market for a new 3CCD MiniDV camcorder, but I'm not sure which one to get.

Just like everybody else in the world, I'd love to have the new Canon XL2 or perhaps the new Sony HDR, alas, I have no dough.

What do you guys think about the Pansonic GS400, does it have just as good a picture as the high-end 3CCD cameras, or is the difference only in the options and manual controls.

Any input from you DP or DV Professionals out there would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Jon

It has a beautiful picture. it has larger chips then the 120 I own.

nope, it's true 16:9 just like your HD camera is. It captures the full 16:9 image then squishes it to fit into the normal DV space. You have to then unstretch it in post (if you use a widescreen project setting it will automatically do this for you).

Back